Mormodia Jumbo World 'Kanazawa' HCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This plant has been grown in a variety of conditions over the years, from outdoors to sun room to grow room to greenhouse. This past year, it's been in my apartment grow tent, and it's done better than ever before. Biggest bulb and most floriferous blooming ever, 40 flowers on 2 spikes. Flowers are larger this time, too.

It has a mild fragrance of permeating menthol with an orange-citrus note.

Bred by Fred Clarke at Sunset Valley Orchids, it was given to me in 2015 by a former Orchid Board member and was my first Catasetum-type plant.

Photos are not true to color; for some reason my phone makes them very yellow in sunlight, when really they are more greenish.

Thanks for looking,

Hi Linus, I grow this plant in just sphagnum moss. The moss is completely crispy dry as the new growths emerge and put out roots. I begin watering when the new roots are well-established in the dry moss (mid-May) and keep them moist and fertilized until all the flowers have opened. So only now am I letting it dry out completely, and then won't water again until May.

What culture method? PET?

William, plenty of lovely flowers👌...and you have the same problem with these pendulous flower spikes to find a background as I have with my Clowesia and Catasetums.
As to the culture, I treat my Catasetums and Clowesia the same way. They need to be treated this way no matter what kind of potting medium you use.

The moss is completely crispy dry as the new growths emerge and put out roots. I begin watering when the new roots are well-established in the dry moss (mid-May) and keep them moist and fertilized until all the flowers have opened. So only now am I letting it dry out completely, and then won't water again until May.

I've been kind of afraid to let the medium on my Catasetums stay crispy-dry for too long, so I've been spritzing them a little once or twice a week. Is it really alright to let them dry completely indoors when there's almost no humidity in the indoor spot where I winter them?

Latest posts

Back