Mormodes lineata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that is Mormodes for you, weird and wonderful! They would never score well on form alone, thatā€™s for sure, however, I have heard Fred Clarke say that they do impart outlandish color into hybrids.
Speaking of Fred Clarke, he is presenting a judging talk this Saturday for the Great Lakes Center. I am so looking forward to that. He is staying locally in Ann Arbor and speaking before the Ann Arbor group on Sunday afternoon.
The drawback? Saturdays low is forecast for zero degrees with a high of around 20 degrees!!! My chair has been sending out e-mails trying ā€œto twist our arms collectivelyā€ to bring plants for judging. I have a few but I am trying to construct a foam blanket lined cardboard box in order to bring in a few plants safely. Should prove to be a challenge!!

Fred Clarke is an excellent speaker. I would definitely brave the cold to listen to him, if it was not so far. Hopefully you and others are able to make it.

Good luck on transporting your plants safely. The lined cardboard box is likely the way to go. If they are small plants, one of these cheap foam coolers is another option. I keep a few for that reason.

Fred is an excellent speaker. He has a great Mormodes talk and His zoom talks work well.
coolers work well. We hand a Daracula brought to judging and awarded in Sacramento on a 102 degree day.

Oh yes, I agree, he is a great speaker! I think over the years I see him on average about once a year. It was twice a year when I lived in Florida due to a huge number of shows, club talks and festivals. I have never been disappointed.
I have had the pleasure of judging with him on the same team a few times. It is amazing to me to hear how he views a candidate plant. Inspiring.

Darlene, on the one hand very strange flowers but on the other hand they look also interestingly and the colouration is stunning ... so altogether they are lovely.

Well, Fred Clarke was just fantastic! We went through an hour and fifteen minute presentation that seemed like twenty minutes. We went through Cycnoches, Catasetum, Clowesia, and Mormodes. We looked into the principal species, older hybrids and of course newer hybrids. He included judging points that we should consider when we judge these orchids. Just a wonderful tour!!!

If we wanted to stay a little late, 7 of us did, Fred gave us an additional 45 minute talk about Mini Catts. Now it has been perhaps 5 or 6 years since I heard that talk and now I am pretty much up to date.
I have to say, this was just a fabulous day! Not only for us, the judges, but for 3 people from local clubs who had plants for judging and also got all of that great info from Fred!!! Marvelous!

Back