Morel Mother Load

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just talked to a friend of mine last night that said he's finding bumper crops this year to around here.

It appears to be a really good year in most areas, especially the south/midsouth based on the mushroom hunting forums I visit. I hate to think of how many more pounds I would have found if it weren't for shackling responsibilities keeping me in the city and out of the woods. :(

Never had any morel's but I'm betting that I would like them.

Just out of curiousity, if lot's of people collect these mushrooms will it have any impact on the "population"? Not implying that your doing something wrong, just wondering. :)

if you leave a few mushrooms in a spot, or you're in the woods where there likely are more morels than you will find, then there will be more next time.

I wish I could find them better around here; there are tons of elm trees dying but often they are just above the water line which is too close to the water. I found 30 on the property line between an orchid club member's house and the nearby field, but it isn't that close and we haven't had the right rain/temp yet. I have been wondering when 'it' will be the right time! mmmm

Never had any morel's but I'm betting that I would like them.

Just out of curiousity, if lot's of people collect these mushrooms will it have any impact on the "population"? Not implying that your doing something wrong, just wondering. :)

Good question. I guess theoretically it would be possible but you'de have to pick a huge percentage of the young unspored fruiting bodies for many mant many years. Most species of morels live happily (and mutualistically) in certain tree species trees most of their life then fruit when the tree get injured or dies for some other reason. A very tough life cycle to make any kind of a polulation level dent in. The mushrooms I picked this year likely occurred from an inoculation of one of those huge cottonwood trees decades ago. I see it like picking apples. Also, I focus on picking mature specimens that have already released a lot of their spores, and collect in mesh bags (although I personally think that likely does little good). Finally no matter how good someone is they will never get them all.

if you leave a few mushrooms in a spot, or you're in the woods where there likely are more morels than you will find, then there will be more next time.

I wish I could find them better around here; there are tons of elm trees dying but often they are just above the water line which is too close to the water. I found 30 on the property line between an orchid club member's house and the nearby field, but it isn't that close and we haven't had the right rain/temp yet. I have been wondering when 'it' will be the right time! mmmm

check out

http://www.morelmushroomhunting.net/report/current/mmhc_report_page1.html

http://morelmushroomhunting.com/morel_progression_sightings_map.htm

and this

http://www.morels.com/newyork/

Oh man, this is one of the things about being in a wheelchair that really pisses me off. I would love to be able to go mushroom hunting!

thanks for the sites. I did find a bunch of sites last year, but the problem I have is that my apartment is down in the mohawk valley where the water is very high (no mushrooms around all the elms) and then you go way up to the foothills and the adirondacks and I don't have many places to go. I do see lots of dying elms way out between farmer's fields but need to find some upland ash and all that. once up in the adirondacks it's also again very wet

Back