More Pics from St Paul winter Carnival Show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are a few more pictures from the show

Paph Ho Chi Minh....I bought this from another forum member, Phrag, who got it from Pine Ridge Orchids. It was pulled for AOS judging, but not scored because I had no papers to prove its legality.
PaphHoChiMinh.jpg

Paph micranthum....Grown by Larry J., who is an excellent Paph and Phrag grower.
PaphmicranthumLJ.jpg

Paph Berenice...... Grown by Rick B., one of my display partners
PaphBereniceRicks.jpg

Here's a few more

Paph Myra (chamberlainianum x haynaldianum)......another plant grown by Rick B.
PaphMyra.jpg

Paph Miss Faith Hanbury 'The Princess' HCC/AOS (glaucophyllum x niveum).......Awarded the best miniature in show (amateur status)
PaphMissFaithHanbury.jpg

Paph roebelenii ('Grace' x 'Candor Red Streamers')......I got this one from Bob Wellenstein in a compot a few years ago
PaphroebeleniiGracexCRS.jpg

paphreek said:
Paph Ho Chi Minh....I bought this from another forum member, Phrag, who got it from Pine Ridge Orchids. It was pulled for AOS judging, but not scored because I had no papers to prove its legality.
BWAHAHA! CITES God of Doom strikes again!:evil:

Heather said:
Mmm, some very nice ones.
That Berenice looks just like the one I got from you, Ross. Love the outstretched petals on that plant.

Nice Ho Chi Minh, that's too bad about the judging tho. :(

I'm not sure where Rick got his Berenice. The one I sent you originated from Ratcliffe.

No big deal about the judging. If it had been awarded, I would have been out another 40 bucks.

WolfDog1 said:
WOW! No wonder there were so many AOS quality awards given at that show. All of those plants look fantastic!

NICE!

Thanks from all the exhibitors at the show. Of course, Orchids, Ltd. takes the share of AOS awards, but their influence extends to all the exhibitors, as many of the plants have been bought from them in the past. Example: Paph. Estella 'Julie' AM/AOS and Rick's Paph. Hilo Jewel 'Lucky Pick' AM/AOS, awarded 2 years ago.
PaphHiloJewelLuckyPick.jpg

I also think that seeing so many quality plants at OL and the OSM meetings also helps to sharpen one's critical judgment on flower quality when selecting and keeping plants purchased elsewhere. All three of my display partners, Rick, Nancy, and Julie, are very keen observers of unique breeding and overall plant quality.

I wonder if some of this has to do with the fact that, because there are several excellent vendors in the mid west there tend to be more excellent hobbyists in that locality than other areas of the US. We have several excellent slipper growers in my society, but we never seem to have them pulled for judging at shows and we have no local vendors in the Northeast. Glen Decker is the closest one and he's 4+ hours away.

Interesting.

That Paph Miss Faith Hanbury 'The Princess' HCC/AOS (glaucophyllum x niveum) is my favorite. I have been wanting that one for a long time and can not find it. :sob: :sob: :sob:

Grandma

Heather said:
I wonder if some of this has to do with the fact that, because there are several excellent vendors in the mid west there tend to be more excellent hobbyists in that locality than other areas of the US. We have several excellent slipper growers in my society, but we never seem to have them pulled for judging at shows and we have no local vendors in the Northeast. Glen Decker is the closest one and he's 4+ hours away.

Interesting.

When looking at Paphs and Phrags, that certainly is true. By the same token, we probably have far fewer good Vanda growers than Florida.

For Paph and Phrag growing, we have a "positive feedback loop" going in that we see great flowers at Orchids,Ltd. or Ackers , etc.; buy seedlings of the cross and bloom them out; and show them to others at our society meetings. This in turn inspires others to go out and acquire similar crosses, so we get to see even more flowers. So not only do we have access to good plants, we see many and are able to compare them. We get so many Paphs and Phrags at our OSM monthly plant table, that we've split them into two categories. It's probably harder to get best Paph at the monthly plant table judging, than it is to get a blue ribbon at the Winter Carnival Show.

Grandma M said:
That Paph Miss Faith Hanbury 'The Princess' HCC/AOS (glaucophyllum x niveum) is my favorite. I have been wanting that one for a long time and can not find it. :sob: :sob: :sob:

Grandma

Don't cry too hard, Grandma. This has been a very tough grower for me.

Latest posts

Back