More Paph Barbilights

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are three more first bloomers. All are intermediate sized plants.

'#10'
PaphBarbilight10.jpg

'#11'
PaphBarbilight11.jpg

'#12'
PaphBarbilight12.jpg

Here are all three with tiny '#6' in the foreground
PaphBarbilight10-12plus6.jpg

Ross those look great, I would have a hard time picking a favorite. Thanks Jim.

#6 is really cool because of the size. I also like the one to the far left in terms of color, the middle one for the roundness of it, and the one on the far right for the dorsal.......hmmm....I guess I would have a hard time picking a facorite too.....

Craig

#'s 6, 10, &11 will be kept and rebloomed. The others will be sold off. Leaf span on these plants is about 8 inches, tip to tip. Hopefully, they will not get larger as the plant matures and instead will form clumping growths similar to their barbigerum grandparent.

where do you sell off your rejects? Do you have a lot of these?

I mainly sell my excess locally, but I do also sell some here on the forum. I have more that I am willing to sell, but won't be shipping anything until the weather warms. The high today was -2 F.

I got these plants from Oak Hill in the Chicago area. I believe they still have some. Blooming size plants are listed at $15.

For a better perspective on the actual size of the Barbilight plants, here is a picture of one Barbilight, lower center with representations of its maternal grandparents: Paph Kay Rinaman 'Val' on the left and Paph barbigerum on the right. Paph Barbilight = Paph Barbi's Playmate x Nulight. Barbi's Playmate = Kay Rinaman x barbigerum. I say representations of the maternal grandparents because I did not make the cross. Therefore, a different barbigerum was used and possibly a different cultivar of Kay Rinaman.

As this picture shows, some of the Barbilights have managed to retain compact size while regaining some of the classic complex form. I believe both crosses originated with Arnold Klehm

PaphBarbilightFamilyPhoto.jpg

I think you should have the first one judged.

Normally that would have been easy as the St. Paul Winter Carnival Orchid Show is this weekend, and it is usually an AOS judged event. However, this year it will not be because it conflicts with the WOC in Miami. Because of the major dent in the under side of the pouch this time, I will probably wait until the second or third blooming to submit it for judging, anyway.

Besides the variation in size and shape, is there a variation in how long the blossoms are lasting? What are you finding as a typical length of bloom time? 1 month? 6 or 8 weeks? More?
Thanks for the info and photos.
Eric

Latest posts

Back