More of this seasons Neofinetia flowers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myxodex

Reaction score
Here are a few more of my neos. Just a pity I cannot share the fragrance. One of the main culprits in the fragrance stakes is this one.

This is the first time it has flowered. It grows like a weed (more so even than my Shutennou), has bigger than average flowers,
and bright yellow-green tiger variegation on the new leaves which then mostly disappears as the leaves mature. I call this one
Furan "vanishing tiger" as I'm not confident that it is actually Shirayuki.
Benisuzume.

I'm not sure whether it's just my plant but this one has smaller than average flowers. The differences between my Toyozakura

and my Benisuzume are so subtle that I've decided to keep only the former with an aim to reduce my collection.
Kutsuwamushi ... I really like the way this one arranges it's flowers in a hemispherical umbel with the spurs pointing outwards.

Finally, but by no means least, Sekei, which seems to me to flower with a cheerful exuberance.

Very nice plants. Since I've never grown this species and I'm thinking of trying one, I do have a ''dumb'' question to ask.
Must they be grown on a mound of sphagnum as very often seen or is it just a japanese tradition to do so?

I wish we has scratch and sniff computers. I have to wait another 6 months before my Neos flower and I can enjoy their fragrance. I can see the inflorescence already (all 3 of them). Does your Neo also "make" the flowers before the winter or do you only see the inflorescence emerge in spring/summer? At first I thought there were little side shoots starting but there are the flower buds waiting for summer. I thought it was very strange. Thankfully the snails don't eat them.

I think your Benisuzume looks lovely.

Very nice plants. Since I've never grown this species and I'm thinking of trying one, I do have a ''dumb'' question to ask.
Must they be grown on a mound of sphagnum as very often seen or is it just a japanese tradition to do so?

No you don't have to grow them on moss and there are pro's and con's in growing them this way. Mostly, because good grade moss is expensive. If you have a orchid growing area where humidity isn't a problem they will grow very well mounted. They are mostly easy orchids (with the exception of some varieties) and people have posted plants here that have been grown in hydroleca, stone chips (check out Lanmark's posts from last year) and mounted on upturned terracotta pots. You could probably even mount them on rocks. I initially tried the usual bark medium and mine didn't like it and i've heard this from others as well. They might just be fussy about the particular type of bark used.

I wish we has scratch and sniff computers. I have to wait another 6 months before my Neos flower and I can enjoy their fragrance. I can see the inflorescence already (all 3 of them). Does your Neo also "make" the flowers before the winter or do you only see the inflorescence emerge in spring/summer? At first I thought there were little side shoots starting but there are the flower buds waiting for summer. I thought it was very strange. Thankfully the snails don't eat them.

I think your Benisuzume looks lovely.

Thanks. Most do produce the "spike buds" (don't know the botanical term for these ?) in the autumn. With some varieties I can distinguish bewteen these and new growths in waiting, but with others I just don't know.

I know I'm hooked. I just can't decide which to get next.

Top tip, ... decision making is much easier if you just get six at a time ... after all they aren't big plants :evil:

My six would go something like; Kinbotan, Hakubotan (need some ruby roots), Youkihime, Kokuhouden, Kinkirin (to add variegation in different forms),
Kokuyou and Unkai (would look great next to my Seikai) :drool: ... damn that is seven :sob: I give up !

Awesome! Simply awesome! Your Seikai and Kutsuwamushi are both dazzling beyond words!

Top tip, ... decision making is much easier if you just get six at a time ... after all they aren't big plants :evil:

My six would go something like; Kinbotan, Hakubotan (need some ruby roots), Youkihime, Kokuhouden, Kinkirin (to add variegation in different forms),
Kokuyou and Unkai (would look great next to my Seikai) :drool: ... damn that is seven :sob: I give up !

Pricey wishlist! :rollhappy: I'm the same. That Kinkirin is calling my name. :evil:

So you're thinking of losing the Toyozakura? I think yours has exceptionally good color for a Toyozakura if that's the plant you've shown right after your Benisuzume. I'd keep it if I were you.

Awesome! Simply awesome! Your Seikai and Kutsuwamushi are both dazzling beyond words!

Pricey wishlist! :rollhappy: I'm the same. That Kinkirin is calling my name. :evil:

So you're thinking of losing the Toyozakura? I think yours has exceptionally good color for a Toyozakura if that's the plant you've shown right after your Benisuzume. I'd keep it if I were you.

Thanks Mark. I worded it badly. I will keep the Toyozakura and loose the Benisuzume. It's similar to Benisuzume and I wonder whether it came from Benisuzume, differences are; finer, more delicate growth (I like the plant) and a frenetic clumper throws new growths as though it aspires to be a pine needle type. Also the flowers are bigger (slightly) and more purple added to the pink. The one younger growth produced more intense flowers, the bud in the picture comes from this growth and the deep coloured flower bottom left. I noticed this again yesterday when I cut some dead flowers off ... if I'm really, really, really, lucky it's a bit of (somatic) genetic drift and the growth will keep the difference. When I first noticed these darker flowers I thought it was just newer flowers, but no ... the four flowers from that growth are much, much more intense than any others on the plant. Not likely, but not impossible either.

Thanks Mark. I worded it badly. I will keep the Toyozakura and loose the Benisuzume. It's similar to Benisuzume and I wonder whether it came from Benisuzume, differences are; finer, more delicate growth (I like the plant) and a frenetic clumper throws new growths as though it aspires to be a pine needle type. Also the flowers are bigger (slightly) and more purple added to the pink. The one younger growth produced more intense flowers, the bud in the picture comes from this growth and the deep coloured flower bottom left. I noticed this again yesterday when I cut some dead flowers off ... if I'm really, really, really, lucky it's a bit of (somatic) genetic drift and the growth will keep the difference. When I first noticed these darker flowers I thought it was just newer flowers, but no ... the four flowers from that growth are much, much more intense than any others on the plant. Not likely, but not impossible either.

Ah yes, ok, I understand. :) I'd keep the Toyozakura, likewise, if I had to choose.

I'm curious... do you notice a difference in the fragrance between these two varieties?

As I recall, Benisuzume does not come from Toyozakura, but my recollection could be bad. :rollhappy: Sinryuukou comes to my mind as being the progenitor of Benisuzume. Does anyone else have further information on this?

Back