Monster Cypripedium in my front garden

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edkravcik

Reaction score
Obtained at a local orchid show about 10 years ago as a division with 2 eyes.

Blooms religiously last week of May every year with zero special care and steadily increases each year

Last year there were 97 flowers. I have over 110 this year

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 135
Nice. That's a southern small yellow ladyslipper? Only group of that I've ever seen had around 100 flowers in a clump maybe 4' across, very compact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite honestly it wasn't labelled when I purchased it. It was $10 at the SOOS members table at their show so I took a chance.

It is small. Stands about 12-14 inches tall. I know that there is some disagreement as to whether the yellow slippers are one or several species so I won't speculate as to exactly what to call itImageUploadedByTapatalk1432810872.758890.jpg

Northern exposure. Gets about 2 hours direct sun midday and indirect light the rest of the day

The soil I am ashamed to say is terrible. Just soil with nothing added and a top dress of cedar mulch. It never gets fertilizer. Every other plant in that garden has had to be replaced because they can't take the location and soil. But this guy is virtually indestructible ( hope I didn't just jinx it)

As for climate/geography- I am in the Niagara region of Ontario on the southern shore of Lake Ontario.

Are you on the escarpment? (hope I spelled it right). My X-wife had family in St Cath. I miss N-O-T-L

I am right in St. Catharines on the lake across from Port Dalhousie.

The lake and location really helps to keep temperatures more moderate in the winter and more humid in the summer. It may well be part of the reason the Cyp in the garden does so well even though it normally is, I understand, naturally found further south.

Back