miticide???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked up the LD50s for those two and Rogor is only marginally lower than Metasystox. Both are pretty serious chemicals that need to be used with great care (and head to toe protection). I was surprised that it is readily available here, in NZ it is only something that commercial growers can get hold of, and then only in 5l containers.

When I was thinking of softer chemicals I was thinking more along the lines of Coopex, a synthetic pyrethroid wettable powder. It is the sort of thing that you can spray around your home to control spiders. I haven't had the need to use it on my plants, but I can't see any reason that it should damage the foliage.

If users rotate the use of a chemical like this (Coopex/MavrikSC) with other chemicals like Avid/Mitemec, and a third means like Sucracide or overhead watering then you ought to have consistently good control of mites.

A couple of years ago I had a semi hardwood native shrub that was being attacked by ants, I thought I’d hit it with some Coopex due to its 3-4 months residual action and within 24 hours the foliage was completely black and the plant never recovered. This is by no means a conclusive study but I wouldn’t use it on my orchids.

Regards, Mick

Thanks for the warning, Mick. I'll be extra cautious with it around my plants, there may be something in it that is phytotoxic.

Where do you get SucraShield in hobby quantity in Canada? The only stuff I got is Pentac which I dare not use as it is very toxic.

Paphman910
To the best of my knowledge, SucraShield is not registered for use in Canada. I can tell you, however, that several folks have ordered it and had it shipped to one of those shipping service places near the US/Canada border, and have brought it into the country themselves.

Ray-
What rate per gallon are you using with the SucraShield.My better half tossed the info that came with my bottle.

I used TetraSan 5 WDG, active ingredient etoxazole, to get rid of a mite problem It is very effective at eliminating spider mites in a couple of sprayings. I have never had a recurring problem since.

As with any pesticide follow instructions for safety and effectiveness. It is on the expensive side. So are orchids but more importantly time and aggravation.

The only stuff I got is Pentac which I dare not use as it is very toxic.

Paphman910

Very toxic to whom?
Plants?
To the mites for shure. To mammals very low.

Very effective, very long lasting, very low risk for inducing resistance.

Just one disadvantage: not systemic and relative easily washed down.

P.S.

"Noteworthy is very low phytotoxicity of formulations and lack of mite resistance to Pentac after nearly 20 years of use."

Very toxic to whom?
Plants?
To the mites for shure. To mammals very low.

Very effective, very long lasting, very low risk for inducing resistance.

Just one disadvantage: not systemic and relative easily washed down.

P.S.

"Noteworthy is very low phytotoxicity of formulations and lack of mite resistance to Pentac after nearly 20 years of use."

I read on the internet that someone got quite sick after using pentac. I think most people will not get sick except for the rare cases.

Paphman910

For my small indoor collection, pyrethrin sprays are very effective on mites. just have to be careful of the oils used in the store formulations on paphs. This summer i have switched to a pyrethrin/sulfur spray that has not caused plant damage.

I've used Tetrasan with great success in the past, but in the future I would try Sucra-Shield.

I used TetraSan 5 WDG, active ingredient etoxazole, to get rid of a mite problem It is very effective at eliminating spider mites in a couple of sprayings. I have never had a recurring problem since.

As with any pesticide follow instructions for safety and effectiveness. It is on the expensive side. So are orchids but more importantly time and aggravation.

I should have mentioned that I use Avid and Tetrasan in a tank-mix formula (often with Orthene) and I have astounding results. I spray once every 7-10 days for three applications and that's it. Mites are a thing of the past. I also add 1/4 tsp per gal liquid soap for spreading.

I understand very well the desire to avoid synthetic chemicals but I've lost a lot of extremely valuable plants in the past to mites & I'm not willing to go there again. I'm willing to hand-pick slugs, but mites are another story altogether.

Latest posts

Back