miticide???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrmd

Reaction score
Im just about out of Avid,and would like to know what other people are using.

I started sing Floramite, bt it is expensive. It sounds from Ray like SucraShield wold be an excellent product as well. I also use paraffinic oil, bt you have to use it frequently.

I started sing Floramite, bt it is expensive. It sounds from Ray like SucraShield wold be an excellent product as well. I also use paraffinic oil, bt you have to use it frequently.

Ray's SucraShield is what took care of a mite infection in my Paphs and Phals last year. I'd recommend it! Ray's price is good, also.

I started sing Floramite, bt it is expensive.

I would hate to admit what I spent on the AVID a few years ago.I havent priced anything in awhile,so Im not sure what prices are these days.

I hink that Ray suggests some homemade recipies, which are quite effective and greatly inexpensive. On the other hand, some chemicals are very efective and could lower the risk of being unsuccessful. Well then it is what suits best for each one... Good luck!

About the only "home remedies" I'm aware of for mites is cooking oil and soap in water, to smother them, and 1) I have not found it to be exceptionally effective, and 2) I'm not all that fond of oils as suffocants.

If you can do a good job of spray application, I'd whole-heartedly recommend the SucraShield, and if it's a huge infestation in a massive collection that's hard to access, Bugitol.

I like Avid and use it still, but principally because: a) I already own it; and b) the alternatives are way expensive. If I were out of Avid I'd switch to something else to avoid resistance.

thats what im thinking

Hi, I have used dish washing soap (liquid), tabasco (liquid), baking soda (powder) (1-2 tblspoons of each and stir gently) in a litre of water, quite successfully. The only thing is that I do not repeat as often as I should to eliminate new generations soon enough (from whatever eggs have remained). This remedy was found in a forum concerning quite expensive plants.... and they say it worked.

There should be some caution when using it as the tabasco can disturb us too... :) Good luck :)

One of the nice things about SucraShield is that is is a "mechanical" killer rather than a chemical (toxin) one, so there is an extremely low likelihood of anything developing resistance to it.

I used Floramite, and am convinced that it works miracles. I was able to get a 1oz bottle on ebay for about $20. You don't have to use much, so an ounce can go quite a long way.

About the only "home remedies" I'm aware of for mites is cooking oil and soap in water...

When I have an oily pan, I use soap to clean it. The oil washes away and you need to add more soap to the dish pan to finish the not-so-oily dishes.

So... If one mixes the two as an insecticide, wouldn't the soap counteract the oil and the oil "spend out" the soap? Sorta like just spraying dirty dish water on bugs?

When I have an oily pan, I use soap to clean it. The oil washes away and you need to add more soap to the dish pan to finish the not-so-oily dishes.

So... If one mixes the two as an insecticide, wouldn't the soap counteract the oil and the oil "spend out" the soap? Sorta like just spraying dirty dish water on bugs?

Not really, the soap is an emulsifying agent that lifts the oil from your dishes, it doesn't really break it down. In this case the soap would enable the oil to penetrate nooks and crannies in the plants to get the mites hiding there.

If you use acaricides like Avid you will get resistance unless you rotate it with other things like an organo-phosphate or a synthetic pyrethroid. Personally I would use the latter, and try and get a wettable powder or suspension concentrate, not an emulsifyable concentrate. You may get away with an EC formulation if you don't overdo the quantities, but it may still mark delicate foliage. An SC or WP formulation is much softer. If in doubt try out a new chemical on one or two plants that you can afford to lose (a tough one, I know!) and wait 3-4 days to see if anything bad happens to the plant.

I have found that mites cannot tolerate being wet, so one of the most effective ways to keep them under control is overhead watering.

Here I use Rogor, widely available at Bunnings. It is good for mealy bugs, red mites as well as fruitflies. If you add metho into 15ml/8ltr water Rogor , it works wonder. The metho will crack on the waxy stuff of the thick wooly bugs then the Rogor will kill it off.
Rogor is much saver to use than the old metasystox (banned 10 years ago), but still gives strong smell.

Where do you get SucraShield in hobby quantity in Canada? The only stuff I got is Pentac which I dare not use as it is very toxic.

Paphman910

I just looked up the LD50s for those two and Rogor is only marginally lower than Metasystox. Both are pretty serious chemicals that need to be used with great care (and head to toe protection). I was surprised that it is readily available here, in NZ it is only something that commercial growers can get hold of, and then only in 5l containers.

When I was thinking of softer chemicals I was thinking more along the lines of Coopex, a synthetic pyrethroid wettable powder. It is the sort of thing that you can spray around your home to control spiders. I haven't had the need to use it on my plants, but I can't see any reason that it should damage the foliage.

If users rotate the use of a chemical like this (Coopex/MavrikSC) with other chemicals like Avid/Mitemec, and a third means like Sucracide or overhead watering then you ought to have consistently good control of mites.

Latest posts

Back