Miscellaneous stuff

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad it arrived alive and no one poached it from your doorstep. :) . My friend mike told me last night that this most likely is a newly recognized species called Spiranthes bightensis. It used to be s odorata then cernua variety odorata and now probably s bightensis. Anything in the trade that’s sold as Spiranthes odorata chadds Ford is most likely s bightensis. After the plants have some time under their belt, the leaves are very wide near the stem. Cernua and odorata have more long thin grasslike leaves
Looking at the plant in the picture above you can see how wide the leaves are

I planted some hardy orchids in our back yard/garden. Goodyera pubescent, tipularia discolor, bletia striatas. The tipularias just started coming up, fo you think they will grow enough to survive over winter when they die back? 20230922_183949.jpg

Attachments

• 20230922_183919.jpg
    20230922_183919.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
How long have they been there? They live as far north as Massachusetts, right? Being that they are native, they probably know what they are doing! They want winter sun. If you were really worried about it on deep freeze nights you could cover them.

Tipularia is a winter-growing orchid. Even when covered in snow, the leaves remain healthy. It goes dormant in the summer. They prefer summer shade, acid soil, and cool temperatures. I've often seen them while hiking in the Appalachian mountains

Latest posts

Back