miscellaneous species

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Martin.I asked because you grow it in sp moss if I could see well.My experience that there are few species who don't like the organic media, rugsur., canhii, thaianum and druryii.These guys grow in gravel or crushed lava rock at me.

Dude! thanks for sharing but you know what is still not legally exported, right!?
I think it is more sophicistated problem.Where? Hangianum is legal in eu, furthermore Orchid Inn. sales plants from seed in US.Few years ago hangianum was illegal in US.Thaianum can be available , i have several plants, all of them from seeds.I saw canhii flasks several times with photos on ebay within 2 years.But i see fully "legal " canhii in its own country witin horrible conditions waiting for death.

I guess what has not.But how about eg anitum?Or i can mention about bougainvilleanum.It is fully illegal in worldwide but few years ago i could see it on websites of few us nurseries.

Thanks Martin.I asked because you grow it in sp moss if I could see well.My experience that there are few species who don't like the organic media, rugsur., canhii, thaianum and druryii.These guys grow in gravel or crushed lava rock at me.
The moss is just on top of the substrate. Its bark, pumice stone and some coconut.
I haven't good experience with only non organic media. For me it works.:)

Dude! thanks for sharing but you know what is still not legally exported, right!?
OK, i dont know and care because of the following point. We all know that CITES don't work for saving orchids in their natural habitat. At the same time so huge numbers of orchids and other plants we're still wild collected and the trading is since social media so easy, that there is no end in sight until they are extinct. Land clearing and deforestriation is unfourtunatly also continuing. The plant shown above is seed propagate from a friend. Unfourtunatly only a few seedlings survive. It seems that canhii is not the easiest to propagate. This species is such a good example for that CITES isnt working. So no need to mention it.

The moss is just on top of the substrate. Its bark, pumice stone and some coconut.
I haven't good experience with only non organic media. For me it works.:)

OK, i dont know and care because of the following point. We all know that CITES don't work for saving orchids in their natural habitat. At the same time so huge numbers of orchids and other plants we're still wild collected and the trading is since social media so easy, that there is no end in sight until they are extinct. Land clearing and deforestriation is unfourtunatly also continuing. The plant shown above is seed propagate from a friend. Unfourtunatly only a few seedlings survive. It seems that canhii is not the easiest to propagate. This species is such a good example for that CITES isnt working. So no need to mention it.
Unfortunately this is the truth.

One or two successful seed pods could save this species, just like the kovachii.

But ignorance, greed and red tape serves as barriers and deterrents to the survival of newly discovered species.

Such a shame. This orchid genocide must stop.

I am not sure what the answer is...I do not agree with the illegal exploitation of orchids. But, how can anyone stop it? They cannot...
Sad, but true.The monetary gain for a citizen of a third world country is large. Perhaps, we as hobbyists are the heroes. I have a hangianum, and it is thriving. Duck

It is a mess. Nice flowers! Thaianum is legal in us partly because Brett in Australia asked me to legally import some flasks from Thailand. The flasks were mixed like a blender in shipping, but then thaianum was ‘legal’

Martin, what a bunch of first class flowers. 👌 I like especially the P. argus and P. victoria mariae. May I ask where you got it from. Here in Germany only 'Orcids and More' offer this species.
As to CITES....this is a blunt sword in my eyes a lot of bureaucracy (red tape as Leslie said) and no benefit. Cutting down forest and wild collecting and selling within the countries of origin are bigger dangers. At least in my eyes.

Last edited:
One of my friend was in Vietnam.He told me and made few pics too on the local flower market.There were thousands of wilde collected orchids and sold not per piece but per kilogram.One kilogram dianthum was 10 usd eg.

Hangianum and thaianum have been legal for years. One species he shared has never been approved for export by the country it is native to. I care because I have already been warned about our Government looking into my collecting efforts. There have been bogus claims a variety of this species from its large neighbor but I'm sure they were illegal exports also. I know they have been sold as flasks in another country but the technology to flask them does not exist in the native country. It is a shame because they have been collected to near extinction.

Latest posts

Back