miniature Paph chamberlainianum ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

A couple of months ago, I imported some Paphs for myself... and among them were 6 plants that were supposed to be Paph chamberlainianum. 4 of them are currently in spike.

This is the first to bloom. First of all, it's tiny! Much smaller than my liemianums or primulinums. I have pretty skinny fingers... I'm not a giant.

paph-chamberlainianum-1.jpg

The buds on one of the others is already quite a bit bigger, so I'm guessing that this one is just an oddity. The plant has an 18" leafspan, and is two growths.

It also looks like liemianum so far, not chamberlainianum. There aren't any dark lines on the dorsal sepal. However, I'll wait for it to finish opening before I start making claims about the taxonomy.

- Matthew

Matt,

That looks like the super-small "Paph. liltii"... of course, this isn't a real species, but a name given to the smaller-flowering plants of, I assume, Paph. liemianum... they may expand to the size of a quarter or a half-dollar... :)

I am sure someone else can give more info about this one... I am growing one, but haven't flowered it in about a year...

-Pat

Doesn't look like what I've seen called liltii... but I haven't seen them in person, just photos. It really looks like a tiny liemianum. Maybe once it develops a bit more, it will look more like my others.

- Matt

As I understand it, lilti is another name for primulinum var. purpurescens. Supposedly it is distinguished by it's orangish pouch. It is a very small flower. Here's mine:

Paphprimulinum(fma)purpurascens3.jpg

I don't think Matt's looks like this.

"liltii" is definitely a form of primulinum purpurascens.....I have had one that goes back to Rand's orginal offer...and I have never heard of a "liltii" outside of the scope of Rand's imagination....Its a nice plant, even smaller than the alba primulinums....and could never reach an 18" leafspan. Take care, Eric

Eric Muehlbauer said:
"liltii" is definitely a form of primulinum purpurascens.....I have had one that goes back to Rand's orginal offer...and I have never heard of a "liltii" outside of the scope of Rand's imagination....Its a nice plant, even smaller than the alba primulinums....and could never reach an 18" leafspan. Take care, Eric

Oh yeah... :crazy: that's right, the liltii is the P. primulinum var. purpurascens... :)

-Pat

OK... tonight, this little guy is fully open, so I thought I'd post a couple of better pics.

First of all, it appears that this bloom is about as big as it's going to get. Maybe a hair bigger, but not much. The widest part of the pouch is 16 mm across, to give you can idea of the scale. And I actually measured the leaf-span this time, and it's a bit bigger than I though.... 21 inches.

miniliem1.jpg

I tried and failed to take a photo of the bloom with a ruler. I couldn't hold the ruler steady enough :)

miniliem2.jpg

Anyway, at this point, this just seems like a very small individual of Paph. liemianum, so unless anyone can give me reason to name it othewise, that's how it will be re-labeled.

I have another one of these little guys that should be open tomorrow. It looks as though it will also be small, but has much richer color in the pouch. I'm going to have to try to get some more information about the origin of these plants.

- Matt

After more scrutinizing, I don't think it's pure liemianum. That flower has a few subtleties that make me think primulinum may be in it's background.

I can't find any pics of Paph. Sandy's Prime Lime (primulinum x liemianum), let alone any made with the purpurascens variety of primulinum, but wonder if that might be it. Do you have a pic of the plant?

Jon

John,

I don't have a good photo of just the leaves, but I do have this Big full plant shot, which may help. The leaves look like my other liemianum leaves... except longer, and narrower than some of them. Sorry for the photo size; you can't see the leaves otherwise :)

miniliem3.jpg

Anyway, I'm not really worried about this plant being a hybrid... I'm pretty convinced that it's a species. And I'm also pretty positive that it's not chamberlainianum :)

- Matt

I can't explain it exactly, but I get a really strong feeling from the flower photo that there has to be some primulinum in the mix.....not evident at all in the foliage, but definitely in the flower. Forget about chamberlainianum.....Take care, Eric

Back