Miniature Paph Breeding

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

A bunch of Miniature Paph's were in bloom, so I decided it was time to make some crosses! My goal is to make a line of Miniature Teacup Paph's, that are vigorous, will have multiple flowers in a 3.25 inch pot, and be colorful! These are all the selected parents:

Paph helenae:

Paph. godefroyae var album:

One of our new Brachy crosses. This one has relatively small flowers, but excellent shape! Paph. (godefroyae var leuchochilum x (Doubel Bell x S. Gratrix):

Paph. Doll's Kobold (henryanum x charlesworthii):

Another one of our crosses, Paph. (Mary Zdilla x charlesworthii):

Paph. Wossner Ministar (henryanum x helenae):

Paph. Wossner Helene (charlesworthii x helenae):

Robert

I'll take a godefroyae album x (godefroyae var leuchochilum x (Doubel Bell x S. Gratrix). Ready in 6 years?

Unfortunately I didn't make that cross, as I am not doing any "Brachy" breeding here (Brachy x Brachy). Instead I used the two Brachy's to cross onto the helenae-type crosses to round out the petals...

But any of these crosses should hopefully be ready in about 4 years..

Robert

Nice flowers. The Paph. (godefroyae var leuchochilum x (Doubel Bell x S. Gratrix) is great with its big flower and short leaves.
Good luck!

I like minis as well. Many paphs and many phrags. I mean, mini paphs and mini phrags.

I stocked up on a bunch of mini-paphs with helenae, henryanum, and fowliei parentage last fall and I haven't regretted it a bit. I haven't bloomed them all yet, but the ones I have bloomed, I've really enjoyed. Particularly considering how many of them fit into a relatively small growing space.

I will say, as a consumer, I'd really love to see more mini/extra compact multiflorals. Between philippinense (some forms), wilhelminiae, and others, there's a ton of opportunity and very little supply. I've seen some promising stuff, such as those Paul Parks x gardineri, and some literal teacup phils.

Last time I was at Marriott, Hadley had a 3" pot of the smallest paphs I have ever seen. Maybe 4 or 5 plants in the pot, and the largest has a leaf span of 2"-2.5" - with spent flower spikes.

Now THAT - whatever it was - ought to lead to some mini's, or should I say "micro's"?.

The current issue of Orchid Digest [Oct, Nov, Dec 2014, Volume 78-4] seems
to be devoted to miniature orchids. Harold Koopowitz has an eight page article,
"Miniature Paphiopedilum Hybrids - An Update."

And Holger Perner has an eleven page article, "Miniature Orchids of China,"
which has three pages of Paphiopedilum specific.

Peter Lin, "Cattleya coccinea and its Hybrids." I liked this article very
much, and I don't even have any. Might get a couple to try.

Plus several more "miniature" articles - dendrochilum, lycastes.

Lots of good photographs.

The current issue of Orchid Digest [Oct, Nov, Dec 2014, Volume 78-4] seems
to be devoted to miniature orchids. Harold Koopowitz has an eight page article,
"Miniature Paphiopedilum Hybrids - An Update."

And Holger Perner has an eleven page article, "Miniature Orchids of China,"
which has three pages of Paphiopedilum specific.

Lots of good photographs.

I will be looking forward to receiving that issue of the Orchid Digest, I have always been attracted to a miniature anything.

A bunch of Miniature Paph's were in bloom, so I decided it was time to make some crosses! My goal is to make a line of Miniature Teacup Paph's, that are vigorous, will have multiple flowers in a 3.25 inch pot, and be colorful! These are all the selected parents:

Thank you for including all the photos.

Back