Mini humidifier suggestions

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanner. C

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a mini humidifier to put in my enclosed Orchid structure. I was looking at a water bottle humidifier but not sure if the output will be enough.

you want one that can auto-refill or be adapted to refill from a hose

This is my bedroom so it is indoors. I don't mind refilling it every couple days if need be. I'm looking for something that could fit in the bottom rack under my orchids.

If I can figure out how to post a photo I'll show my set up.

Test test
IMG_20180115_214346329.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Reptifogger? Holds a liter bottle. Whether there's enough output depends on the volume of your enclosure. It might be good for 4-5 cubic feet.

Don't go with the bottle humidifiers. Those are really only made to run for a few hours, so you'd end up having to refill it a few times per day unless you are using a really low output. I'd go with something that has at least a gallon capacity.

I recently bought this Vicks model to keep the humidity up in my small grow room with the heater running. So far it's been working great and easily lasts the whole day on a single tank running at about 3/4 of full output (which raises my ~8 x 10 ft room from 45 -> 60% RH). The only annoying thing is that the tank is a bottom-fill design, so you have to take the tank off to refill it, but this is easily remedied by drilling a small hole near the top of the tank so you can refill it without having to take it apart.

I tried all those store bought humidifiers before...the cool mist ones (ultra sonic) would fail after a couple months and I went through several makers , and refilling was a pain ..the warm humidifiers are more reliable but you still have to fill them everyday..I finally just got a dedicated rotary type for greenhouses ..expensive but worth it ...my fill tank is outside (gravity fed) and I fill it up once a month. This model is perfect for a very small space..I have had it for six months and its flawless..also comes with humidistat (BTW, Humidistats on those store bought humidifiers are like the thermostats on portable heaters..always changing, hardly reliable)...if you can find the money for this, you will never have to worry about humidity again

http://www.glassstructures.com/products/accessories/atomizing-humidifiers

Get a fishtank air pump, some airline and an airstone. Get a bottle or bucket of water and run the air through it. The air breaking the surface for the water will aspirate enough water to increase humidity very effectively. This is how we would humidity air for lab experiments, running the air through a bottle with water.

It is cheap, give it a try.

You need to have distilled water for an ultrasonic humidifier to last (or very low EC - rain water)

Same goes really for a warm mist humidifier. If you have hard water it will precipitate out all over the coils and your efficiency will drop dramatically. Not to mention that it will create a "dust" of really fine calcium carbonate particles all over everything. Unless you can supply purified water, warm mist humidifiers are more trouble then they are worth IMO.

I tried all those store bought humidifiers before...the cool mist ones (ultra sonic) would fail after a couple months and I went through several makers , and refilling was a pain ..the warm humidifiers are more reliable but you still have to fill them everyday..
http://www.glassstructures.com/products/accessories/atomizing-humidifiers

Everyday filling isn't too bad. Especially if you drill a hole in the tank so you don't have to take it off and flip it upside down. You could also add a float valve such that it just tops-off automatically. In terms of longevity, well, I dunno, fingers-crossed? :p

Get a fishtank air pump, some airline and an airstone. Get a bottle or bucket of water and run the air through it. The air breaking the surface for the water will aspirate enough water to increase humidity very effectively. This is how we would humidity air for lab experiments, running the air through a bottle with water.

It is cheap, give it a try.

Unfortunately, this really doesn't work well unless your space is very small or you have a LOT of buckets. I tried this approach before buying the humidifier and it did basically nothing to the humidity level in my small room (raised maybe 1-2% with a 5-gallon bucket of water on a good day, pretty negligible).

I paid the extra money and got one that I can set. I'll program it to turn off when it gets above 70% and on when below 50% it also has a automatic sut off when it rubs out. It claims it can last 24 hours running.

Latest posts

Back