Miltonia - purple waterfall

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

I have successfully spiked a miltoni X, a freebie from Hausermann's last year, so I couldn't resist this one - Hajime Ono 'Maui Falls AM x Edie Brown 'Cape Cod. When photographed it's showing red, in natural daylight it's purple! Nice fragrance too!
barbies006.jpg
barbies007.jpg

Very pretty.

Someone tell me the difference between Miltonias and Miltoniopsis.

Miltoniopsis are the South American pansy orchids (like Roses). The Miltonias are the others. Talks a bit about it here plus some cultural notes.

Interestingly it says the hybrids are still registered under Miltonia, so maybe Rose is right. Although that article is pretty old. It would seem bizarre to me to have the species in one genera and the hybrids in another.

http://www.orchidculture.com/COD/FREE/Miltoniopsis_Art.html

David

Wonderful article David! You're right, mine should be considered miltoniopsis, it fits the type of growth description, I don't think I've seen anything other than this type, I'll have to watch more closely! I'm going to assume that the milt. abbreviation applies to miltonia, which is how it's listed on the tag. So should there be an "s" added?
Thanks guys for all the compliments, remember that's not it's name, doesn't appear to be registered yet, can you tell I like short & simple? :p

What a fantastically beautiful flower! Love it! Yes, it's a Miltoniopsis. Miltoniopsis are cool growing and primarily found in Colombia. They have "Pansy" shaped flowers and a very compact, "clumping" growth habit. Miltonias are warm growing, Brazilian plants that have a rambling growth habit and star-shped flowers; although, the best clones of Miltonia spectabilis and morelliana do have very large, full, round lips.

Actually they are all Oncidiums. :evil:

There are only 4 Oncidium species,

the little yellow and brown one,
the little pink one
the big pink one
&
the big white one.

Thats it, all Neotropical orchids except the Phrags, Cyps & Selenipedium fit in this Modern Species Key.

:rollhappy: :rollhappy: :rollhappy: :rollhappy: :rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back