Mid Summer Cymbidium goeringii check (Japanese Cym goeringii "Fuji no Yuubae" 日本春蘭「富士の夕映」

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokerpass

Reaction score
Cymbidium goeringii Fuji-no-Yuubae 日本春蘭「富士の夕映」: A quick mid summer check. The plant came half dead 3 years ago. One of the mature pseudobulbs initiated flower bud formation. The flower bud formation is right on time 3 years in a row!! The flower bud is coming out from the base of a mature pseudobulb (2 years old in this case) and since the pseudobulb is planted below the surface of the pot, the flower bud is completely burried. It will grow and poke out from the surface of the pot by Halloween and will only bloom next spring (spring 2022)....it takes about 9 months from flower bud formation to flowering for this species. Yes, this species starts flower bud formation in the middle of the summer in the heat (right now it is about 30C in Toronto, Canada with good humidity). The flower bud has nothing to do with the cold night temperature in the fall, it's wrong. The flower bud initiation is NOW! This plant has bloomed 2 years in a row and looks like it will bloom again next spring (Spring 2022) 1627270081761.png

1627270107571.jpeg

Botany Boy: I have seen your website. Yes, I know, the flower buds will come out of the soil by halloween and the size will be 3cm-5cm and just sits there and do nothing until the spring (from Halloween to Feb/March, do nothing). During this time, you have to make sure that the flower buds don't abort/blast, very hard to do unless you have the perfect condition (like a Asian Winter), cold just above freezing with min 50% at all times, very hard to replicate where I live (Toronto, Canada). I follow instructions whatever Japanese Cymbidium books say and my Japanese Cymbidium vendor tell to me do, so I just follow the instructions. If you stil live in Japan, the conditions are natural, you grow outdoor all year round under a large tree, except in winter, you bring the plant inside to the Engawa (縁側) of the house (the unheated part of the house) to achieve the winter conditions, so it should be much easier for you to grow and bloom.

Last edited:
Back