Mid-Atlantic Native Orchids + in situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link.

Ken H and I may be doing an orchid trip to Canada early July to see amerorchis and p leuchophaea for a few days, and may do something upstate this weekend. Might like to see arethusa or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssyl514m.JPG

ssyl514n.JPG

ssyl514o.JPG

ssyl514p.JPG

ssyl514q.JPG

i'm an equal opportunity photographer; i'll give airtime to even the imperfect flowers :)
this one looks like it has some ram's head ladyslipper in it's past

ssyl514r.JPG

deer that came out of the woods almost right next to me; was hunched down trying to get close up pictures so it didn't see me (until I said 'hello')

ssyl514s.JPG

assorted pics with my phone

skylinephone514a.JPG

view to the west from one of the rest/viewing areas as I was driving into the park towards the orchids

two pics of some species of lily
skylinephone514b.JPG

skylinephone514c.JPG

skylinephone514d.JPG

colony of orchids in the grass in front of woods. very difficult to see unless you know they're there

skylinephone514e.JPG

Attempt to get ants' eye view up at the flowers

skylinephone514f.JPG

trying to get a shot directly above the orchids

skylinephone514g.JPG

view west from viewing area heading out in the evening

skylinephone514h.JPG

and the same view a few minutes later as the sun began to set. a lot of people taking video at the same time, was amazing view!

Last edited:
I was in the same area April of 2013, I love travelling sky line drive. Well worth the modest toll.

Great pictures Charles. I really appreciate being able to see them thanks for posting.

Were the Catawba rhodos blooming?
We had the luck of driving through during peak.
Definitely added some pop to the scenery.

R. catawbiense is not common in Shenandoah N.P. The largest concentration nearby on the BRP is in the Peaks of Otter area. I'm not actually sure if that species is truly native to the park. In the early years many trees and shrubs were planted by the park service so don't necessarily represent natural associations - especially along the parkway.

After talking to my boss, I think we were further south than Charles was.
It did seem the bulk of plants were along road. Easy to believe they were planted by workers.

Thanks Tom for sharing the info.

My family and I loved seeing the abundant dense stands of pink Trillium grandiflorum nearby. The ones that open a nice shell pink rather than white.

My family and I loved seeing the abundant dense stands of pink Trillium grandiflorum nearby. The ones that open a nice shell pink rather than white.

Yes, when ken and I originally were there in 2008, we saw some of that different trillium when we explored along skyline. I was on more of a mission this time so didn't stop in the woods along the way

Latest posts

Back