Microbial inoculants for the root zone - beneficial?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@DrLeslieEe What Dyna-Gro product is that? I don't see it on their website.

@Kate Boyce-Miles

Here's a summary I put together about my own learnings and experiences using "plant probiotics".

They all work, but the more species introduced, the better, as the results are primarily due to each one's unique exudates. If you cannot find a commercial product, try fermenting some Brewer's yeast for a couple of weeks, then apply the diluted liquor to your plants as a drench.

Without a doubt (in my mind, anyway), the Inocucor product out of Montreal was the best one going, but they ceased production about 16 months ago, courtesy of investment bankers.

Last edited:

@Kate Boyce-Miles

Here's a summary I put together about my own learnings and experiences using "plant probiotics".

They all work, but the more species introduced, the better, as the results are primarily due to each one's unique exudates. If you cannot find a commercial product, try fermenting some Brewer's yeast for a couple of weeks, then apply the diluted liquor to your plants as a drench.

Without a doubt (in my mind, anyway), the Inocucor product out of Montreal was the best one going, but they ceased production about 16 months ago, courtesy of investment bankers.
Thank you Ray.

I have started using this product:
https://thenutrientcompany.com/products/tnc-mycorr-hydro#plant-compatibility

I'm not certain of the optimal formula, but a teaspoon of yeast plus a cup of some sugar (or molasses or maple syrup, etc.) in a gallon of water ought to do. Let it ferment for a week or more and then add a couple of ounces of that liquid to a gallon of irrigation water.

@Kate Boyce-Miles

Sorry not Dynacare but Grotek. Pics below:

C0C489A6-0DA6-45E6-9D8A-D5AF74DB3971.jpeg9B3C85B9-1770-40DE-A0A1-1C931D5E77C2.jpeg

Can this be purchased in the U.S.? Or only in Canada?
You'll note from the label that it contains two bacteria species, both known to be beneficial to plants. With such products, the more species, the better, as each has its own secretions that affect the plant and its growing environment.

Rather than trying to find that product in the US, or paying an exorbitant amount to ship it here, consider using Quantum-Total instead. It is readily available (from me or through Amazon), and contains those bacteria and several more, some of which are nitrogen-fixing, and some photosynthetic, making fertilizer and fuel (sugars) right within the plant.

I looked into sending some to Leslie, but it is prohibited to ship live microorganisms into Canada.

I use TNC Mycorr Hydro. Maybe @Ray can tell us if it is the equivalent of what he is using/selling.
Equivalent, no, but different - and definitely worth trying.

In all such products, do not be looking for an apparent change. it's more of a "realization" after a while that "Hey! I'm not getting any rots!"

Latest posts

Back