Micro Paph. laevigatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting differences in culture. I wonder if the cooler growing would result in shorter, stockier leaves for all philippinense plants.

Actually my piece of this plant has gone back to producing small growths. I think it started making the longer leaves because of the high light conditions. Since I have cut out one of the HID lights, this plant, and several others, have gone back to smaller, upright, more 'succulent' leaves. Now that it has several mature growths I expect it to flower on the next cycle.

Actually my piece of this plant has gone back to producing small growths. I think it started making the longer leaves because of the high light conditions. Since I have cut out one of the HID lights, this plant, and several others, have gone back to smaller, upright, more 'succulent' leaves. Now that it has several mature growths I expect it to flower on the next cycle.

Hmmm. This is very interesting! Defies the idea that higher light makes more compact, tighter growth. Maybe nixing one of the HIDs dropped the temp, making this plant's compact nature more temp dependent than light dependent???

Hmmm. This is very interesting! Defies the idea that higher light makes more compact, tighter growth. Maybe nixing one of the HIDs dropped the temp, making this plant's compact nature more temp dependent than light dependent???
That's exactly what I thought as I read Wendy's post. I suppose the advantage to having less succulent, more strap-like, thinner leaves when it's warm is to help disipate excess heat.

That's exactly what I thought as I read Wendy's post. I suppose the advantage to having less succulent, more strap-like, thinner leaves when it's warm is to help disipate excess heat.
Me, too. Any experience I've had with longer, thinner leaves has been because of lower light.

In this case I'm not sure. Yes I unplugged one light, but, I also turned off the exhaust fan that got rid of the excess heat from all three lights. The temp is no different in the room than it was before....~83f lights on and ~65 lights off. There was a small period of time where I had only one light running and the temps only got to about 73-75f but that was only for about 2 weeks....a few of my plants developed rot on a couple leaves so I put a second light back on a timer so that the temps went back up into the 80's. The plant we are talking about started making smaller growths some time back (months ago)...well before the two week cool spell....when I removed the third light.

What a great Philippinense. I would love to have it in my collection. Philippinense always reminded me of my tropical country.

Beautiful flowers! I find the smaller form have more yellow in the pouch than the other variety of philippinense.

Paphman910

Back