Micranthum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masaccio

Reaction score
My micranthum is been growing well, getting good light (good enough for the rest of my paphs anyway under LED spots). The winter temp is its growing room has been around 60, sometimes slightly lower. It's been resting and I'm hoping for a spike. The plant is only one fan. Lance Birk and other sources talk about resting. I don't know what a resting paph needs in terms of water. No water? Less water? Keeping it basically dry but giving it a little here and there? Thank you for your thoughts.

We grow our Paph. micranthums cool (55F night temps) dry (watering every two weeks) and bright (2-3,000 fc.) I consider this a resting period for that species, so fertilizing only every third watering with 15-5-15 CaMg @ TDS of 100 ppm in R/O water. This phase begins on Nov. 1 and ends on Feb. 1 each year for this and the other Parvi species.

You can go even lower if possible. I have bloomed a few. blasted a couple. Unless you grow it very cool like near freezing as this species go through in the wild, then you want to water it good. If you have very high humidity and quite cold, then, drying out might be fine, but low humidity and not that cool, then, I would recommend against drying out, definitely not every two week watering for such a small plant in the pot.
Their roots in the wild, grow buried in the dirt, which is shallow. The air is often very humid and morning dew will drench the plant daily.
So, think about how this might translate into the pot culture.
I say big no to drying out. You would likely kill any developing sheath that might be deep down at the center of the plant, or invite some nasty mite infestation. I vote for water, water, water. ;)

Agreed. If you grow indoors don't back off the water too much. If you are lucky enough to live in a climate where you can winter it outdoors with relatively high humidity, you can cool it off/dry it off a lot more. I've never tried this species, but I grow its near relative, P. armeniacum, outside, and I water it very little from December - March. Caveat - my plant is finally growing well, but has yet to flower for me.

For years I've done the fake 'spring showers': doubling up on water in early spring (whenever that is in your location). Seems to trigger flowering in several species.

It sounds awful but some advice that i was given was to put in your refrigerator at night in the crisper drawer with the humidity dial set in the higher range.
I thought the advice was nuts but decided to try it.. it was stressful to say the least, i set the temp in the drawer to 41-42 degrees, put them in every night, took them out every morning and within a couple of months they were all in sheath. I have 6 of them and 6 micranthum eburneum
I cant believe i just admitted that in public! Please don't shame me. The husband was not happy one morning when he woke up before me and opened the fridge to get the cream for his coffee and instead found bunches of orchids...

Wow, I missed a lot of this somehow. I have a place I can put it at night next year where it will be a few degrees above freezing - definitely flirting with 30sF. And then can take it into bright light for daytime. Water sparingly but not to the point of prolonged excessive dryness. It might be "interesting" to keep that up for three months but for the rewards, I'd give it a shot. At this point, it's still growing beautiful leaves. It's one of my favorite plants.

Armeniacnum, micrnathum and even malipoense can withstand slightly freezing in the wild. It is not necessary in cultivation, but that is what they can tolerate for short period. I would not subject them under 5C though just to be safe.

We grow our Paph. micranthums cool (55F night temps) dry (watering every two weeks) and bright (2-3,000 fc.) I consider this a resting period for that species, so fertilizing only every third watering with 15-5-15 CaMg @ TDS of 100 ppm in R/O water. This phase begins on Nov. 1 and ends on Feb. 1 each year for this and the other Parvi species.

Hi Tom:

Does the long super-dry period work for all Parvi Paphs? Some more than others?
Only a small percentage of my Parvis bloom per year lately, so I'm thinking of increasing the length & severity of my dry rest period.

Thanks, Bill

It sounds awful but some advice that i was given was to put in your refrigerator at night in the crisper drawer with the humidity dial set in the higher range.
I thought the advice was nuts but decided to try it.. it was stressful to say the least, i set the temp in the drawer to 41-42 degrees, put them in every night, took them out every morning and within a couple of months they were all in sheath. I have 6 of them and 6 micranthum eburneum
I cant believe i just admitted that in public! Please don't shame me. The husband was not happy one morning when he woke up before me and opened the fridge to get the cream for his coffee and instead found bunches of orchids...
I'm thinking wine cooler.

I wonder if the Parvi Paph are like a lot of Dendrobiums: while they come from areas with cool and dry winters, if you can't give them cool, you can fool them with dry.

For example: Den aggregatum has been in catalogs for decades as 'intermediate-cool' BUT they grow giant monster plants with 100+ spikes in South Florida, by using a dry spell only.

Latest posts

Back