Micranthum glanzeanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the best from here, also! Had I been in your shoes, Istvan, I would keep my breath in eager anticipation... though might be worried, that that would make me turn blue in the face before I again was able to breathe! 😉 🤞 Keep us posted!

Hi Istvan, you have not posted a photo of an open flower, or is it in another thread. Don't tell me it did not make it 🤔 I sure hope that isn't the case. Looks so nice and intresting.

Not album - it ain't all white (see Gruß or Braem). But albino form - i.e. no anthocyanin!
Albinism/albino in plants mean lacking chlorophylls. Regarding the flower itself, I wonder if some people use different terms to describe the same phenomenon? I ask because it gets confusing.
By the way, album micranthum flowers are rarely pure white but with greenish yellow on the petals as well as on the dorsal sepal.
Does anyone know if it's carotinoid alone or a combination of carotinoid and chlorophylls responsible for the color on the album form of the species?

Albinism/albino in plants mean lacking chlorophylls. Regarding the flower itself, I wonder if some people use different terms to describe the same phenomenon? I ask because it gets confusing.
By the way, album micranthum flowers are rarely pure white but with greenish yellow on the petals as well as on the dorsal sepal.
Does anyone know if it's carotinoid alone or a combination of carotinoid and chlorophylls responsible for the color on the album form of the species?
Albino plants lack anthocyanin (red pigment), which not only provides red colouring, but also contributes to black spots, stripes, etc. Albino plants can have colouring from carotinoid (contributing to yellow/yellowish colouring) and/or chlorophyll (contributing to green/greenish colouring).
Botanically, album strictly means white, i. e. plants with flowers, that don't present themselves with any of the above mentioned pigments.
What makes the whole hullabaloo really confusing is, that plants with flowers, that weren't all white, back in time were first described and published as album - plants, that today would be described as f.ex. alboviride (white-green) or alboflavum (white-yellow), and for some reason, such a name, if legitimally published, seems very difficult to change (I can't explain why, but I'm sure that a botanist well versed in the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature would be able to provide us with useful input).
If it's the concept of albinism as such, that creates havoc, Gruss in his book on albino Paphs, and Braem in the 2nd ed. of his monography on the Genus Paphiopedilum, both provide a clear and easily understandable (and almost identical) chapter on the matter!

Even more headache is added due to misuse of the terms in my opinion.
Abino for animals are pretty straightforward, missing melanin.
For plants, these messy tossing around of terms really make things confusing.
Cattleya and Phalaenopsis that have white flowers with red lip were referred to as alba, although alba means white.
This usage seems to have stopped now?
Regarding the micranthum, album does not seem true album as they breed differently and some individuals produce flowers with dark pigemnts in the form of tiny dark spots on the staminode or even on the petals near the center of the flower.
It is perhaps better to call it micranthum var. glanzeanum rather than albino or album, then? 🤷‍♂️

Ok, as I know...album means white flower.Albino means flower( and plant) can produce xanthofil and chlorofil, no more, so flower can be yellow, gree, white and combo of these. Correct term could be in case of white-green combo albo-viride, in pure green case viride, in case of yellow aureum or sulphureum etc.,...so glanzeanum is an albino form, not album, as you like alboviride.🥴🥴🥴🥴

Latest posts

Back