• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Michael Koopowitz

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh oh! She thinks she's settled down for a while, it means something has got to go. Are you getting rid of a Phrag Scarlett O'hara by any chance?!?

This is the description on Zephyrus Orchids website:
Wonder if this is a killer cross enough for you?

Michael Koopowitz ‘Zephyrus Dark’ x sib ‘Rapunzel’s Cousin’
We sibbed two of our best Michael Koopowitz’s here. For the reasons outlined below, perhaps 25% of these will have bred like straight sanderianums. Therefore, these should be even longer than the best Michael Koops out there now! Sibbings of primaries always give more variability than by using the two different species parents. Kind of like shining a light through a prism, the genes are allowed to segregate out in much broader fashion, leading to tremendously enhanced variability. Limited (I’m keeping half of them!) 2 1/4" pot size $79.99

Hien said:
This is the description on Zephyrus Orchids website:
Wonder if this is a killer cross enough for you?

Michael Koopowitz ‘Zephyrus Dark’ x sib ‘Rapunzel’s Cousin’
We sibbed two of our best Michael Koopowitz’s here. For the reasons outlined below, perhaps 25% of these will have bred like straight sanderianums. Therefore, these should be even longer than the best Michael Koops out there now! Sibbings of primaries always give more variability than by using the two different species parents. Kind of like shining a light through a prism, the genes are allowed to segregate out in much broader fashion, leading to tremendously enhanced variability. Limited (I’m keeping half of them!) 2 1/4" pot size $79.99

2 problems:
1. It is a Canadian vendor, so permits will be expensive (I assume)
2. It is a sib cross of two Michael Koopowitzes. Some may consider me to be splitting hairs, but I just can't think of that as a "true" MK.

kentuckiense said:
2. It is a sib cross of two Michael Koopowitzes. Some may consider me to be splitting hairs, but I just can't think of that as a "true" MK.

how do you think of it? i guess that confuses me a bit...

kentuckiense said:
2 problems:
1. It is a Canadian vendor, so permits will be expensive (I assume)

Of course making the sib cross is still considered the same grex, but the results can be different. My guess is that some segregation will take place with some forms being closer to sanderianum and others closer to philippinense. Sibling crosses are often a good way of improving crosses, and is often done with phalaenopsis.

slippertalker said:
Of course making the sib cross is still considered the same grex, but the results can be different. My guess is that some segregation will take place with some forms being closer to sanderianum and others closer to philippinense. Sibling crosses are often a good way of improving crosses, and is often done with phalaenopsis.

Yeah, I'm not arguing that it isn't the same grex. According to the current rules, it is. It's just that when I think of a hybrid, I think of parent x crossed with parent y to create hybrid z, not hybrid z crossed with hybrid z to create hybrid z.

Heather said:
Hi, I am looking for a KILLER cross of this one.

I'd like sanderianum petals with philippinense form. Please.

I know they exist. Please let me know if you discover a fine source!

I would buy a select plant instead of wasting time and money on unbloomed plants if you are really looking for a "killer" plant. That is about the only way to get it. Unless you are really lucky or have the room to bloom out 100 of them. I guess if the cross has proven to be spectacular your odds increase.

paphioland said:
I would buy a select plant instead of wasting time and money on unbloomed plants if you are really looking for a "killer" plant. That is about the only way to get it. Unless you are really lucky or have the room to bloom out 100 of them. I guess if the cross has proven to be spectacular your odds increase.

Yes, I know. That's what I'm looking for.

I know a couple of people who have select MKs. I will ask. I have one but is not select.

Latest posts

Back