MH Height Question re: 400W

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Hi,
For those of you who grow the strap leaved paphs under a 400W MH lamp, how far is it hanging above your plants?

I started pretty high, but I also used some crappy hanging wire, and today I bought a better wire system, so I want to lower it a little, but am not sure how much I should lower it. Rigth now it is just about 3' above the plants. Would 2 feet be safe enough to ensure I don't burn anything?

Or, should I keep it between 2 and 3 feet?

Hey Heather,

This may not help you at all, but I'm using a 1000W metal halide for some of my strap leaved plants (stonei, philippinense, and roths, mostly).

The plants that are nearest to the bulb are 3.5 to 4 feet away (stonei), but at a 45 degree angle, not directly under it. The plants that ARE directly under it are 6 feet away. They're all growing nicely, but also have fans blowing across them.

Not especially helpful, I know :) If I were you, I'd probably use it at 3 feet for a month or two, and see how the plants react. If they stay darker than you think they should be, lower the light. Better to be safe, I'd say... especially with these expensive strap leaved plants.

- Matt

Hi Heather:
I use 400W MH with my strap leaf paphs in SH. The lights are 3 1/2 feet above the surface the pots sit on, and the pots are within a 3 foot radius under the lights. The plants grow well and flower regularly, including a kolo with 9 flowers on first bloom and a Bel Royal with 8.

Hope this helps,
Gary

single spikes, still haven't figured out how to get decent photographs of the plants and flowers (at this point I would settle for indecent pics :wink: ) I was happy that not of the flowers got scorched!
gary

I have three HID lights in my room...an HPS, a MH and a combo bulb. All are 400 watt. They are about 3-4 feet above the main benches and the side shelves are 2-3' away. I have a cople lower shelves for lower light stuff as well. Works fine for me so far.

Latest posts

Back