Mexipedium xerophyticum in a bonsai pot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice quality pot. The linear line of the lip and the bottom band create a nice horizontal image, well suited for when this cluster fills out even more. Nice choice of pot.

Very well grown plant. Tremendous number of blooms on a relatively compact clump.

Chuck

bump

I just repotted my plant into a big tupperware container, and I was wondering if the people who grow in the flat bonsai pots could tell me how you drain the water out (does it have a hole or two in the bottom), and is there usually a residual amount of water that sits in there for a few days? also in this pic the center part of the plant has a lot of moss growing around it; is there some old media there that holds the moss, or something else? - thanks

bump

I just repotted my plant into a big tupperware container, and I was wondering if the people who grow in the flat bonsai pots could tell me how you drain the water out (does it have a hole or two in the bottom), and is there usually a residual amount of water that sits in there for a few days? also in this pic the center part of the plant has a lot of moss growing around it; is there some old media there that holds the moss, or something else? - thanks
Mine has one hole in the bottom

bump

The pot in the first post of this thread has one hole. The moss is now growing throughout the surface of the pot. I keep it watered every other day in the winter and every day in the summer. Whenever any plant I have is kept moist, moss grows on the potting medium surface.

Most bonsai pots have fairly large holes, or multiple holes. Xeriphyticum is one Phrag I don't let sit in water. So having drainage is good.

Most bonsai pots have fairly large holes, or multiple holes. Xeriphyticum is one Phrag I don't let sit in water. So having drainage is good.
What medium do you use to pot your mexipedium xerophyticum? Someone local gave me two. I better learn how to repot them quick before they die on me. That someone told me I have to let them sit in half inch water. Any advice will be appreciated.

I grow them in a bark/peat mix, in 3" pots, and water every 5-7 days.

The big plant is in an 8" bulb pan with peat/gray rock mix and gets watered the same.

I grow them in a bark/peat mix, in 3" pots, and water every 5-7 days.

The big plant is in an 8" bulb pan with peat/gray rock mix and gets watered the same.
Thank you for replying back. When you say water, do you mean water with weak fertilizer? If no how frequent do you fertilize?

It makes a big difference to your watering, where you live and your conditions. It grows where it’s hot, humid and very bright. If you are very cool then likely you don’t want thick media sitting in water. When I first had another one, when it was in a light stand, in a compot tray with clear plastic dome, it looked happy grew and flowered. Then I had to move a few times and many things weren’t happy. My most recent after trying to change conditions it was unhappy; recently put it near more light and put a dome over it (more humidity) and it’s looking alive again.
People who have easier time growing it either are in south where warm and humid, or provide lots of light. Your conditions will provide how you’ll need to grow it.

Thank you for replying back. When you say water, do you mean water with weak fertilizer? If no how frequent do you fertilize?
When I water, I use only water. I foliar feed 2-3 times a month in summer, and I use a tiny bit of slow release fertilizer in the pots.

Regarding cnycharles comment above, I grow Mexipediums hot, humid, and bright!

I don't usually post but wanted to add that I also have had good success with bonsai pots and inorganic rock media that I use for my trees. The picture is of a small flask that I got about 2 years ago originating from Orchid Inn. I have not repotted since but will do it next season. It is grown indoors under 48" tube lights and have not lost a single seedling. The 1 single growth had no roots so I tried it by itself and is growing good now. The original seedlings are shown in the 7.5" x 6" bonsai pot.

Attachments

• Flask of Mexipediums.jpg
    Flask of Mexipediums.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190405_140600 (2).jpg
    20190405_140600 (2).jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back