Mexipedium xerophyticum in a bonsai pot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
I've had this plant for over 10 years and always kept training it around a 10 inch bulb pan. I placed it in a 20 inch oval bonsai pot this Spring and it really took off. It has 14 new growths this year so far. I guess that it just likes its space.

Mexipediumxerophyticum07-07-2012.jpg
[/IMG]

What is your potting mix? It looks like clay pellets, charcoal and some kind of little white stones.

Great looking plant, and very happy.

What is your potting mix? It looks like clay pellets, charcoal and some kind of little white stones.

Great looking plant, and very happy.

Thanks.

It's mostly medium Hydroton (1/2 inch) with a top dressing of coarse (1/16 inch) sand and medium (1/4 inch) Stalite.

http://www.repotme.com/potting-media/Stalite-Small.html
ah, it says that voles hate stalite (which might be an excellent replacement for volcanic rock)... I wonder if slugs/snails also hate it, which would be a boon for orchid and ground plantings..

very nice plant! your media sounds alot like what the soil/ground material was described as in the site description, where the original mexipedium was found

Really stunning! You have done an amazing job with this plant!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks.

It's mostly medium Hydroton (1/2 inch) with a top dressing of coarse (1/16 inch) sand and medium (1/4 inch) Stalite.
Thanks! I've not heard of Stalite, but it sounds like an interesting medium. Your Mex is sure doing well in it!

I like it, well grown,

Hey, you said bonsai pot, that means it could be a nice pot, how about a picture of the whole composition, plant and pot? Do you do bonsai too? it is my hobby when I want a break from orchids.

For the non-bonsai nuts on this forum, there is a subcategory of growing bonsai which is the artistic growing of flowering plants and grasses in bonsai pots for display, called Kusamono and Shitakusa depending on whether you display the pot with a tree or as a specimen to be appreciated on its own.

So show us the pot! :)

I like it, well grown,

Hey, you said bonsai pot, that means it could be a nice pot, how about a picture of the whole composition, plant and pot? Do you do bonsai too? it is my hobby when I want a break from orchids.

For the non-bonsai nuts on this forum, there is a subcategory of growing bonsai which is the artistic growing of flowering plants and grasses in bonsai pots for display, called Kusamono and Shitakusa depending on whether you display the pot with a tree or as a specimen to be appreciated on its own.

So show us the pot! :)

I do not grow bonsai trees, but wish that I could. I live in a 1200 sq. ft. apartment and orchids are all I can manage. I'm not sure which category of Japanese gardening this plant fits, but it does look a bit like some of the images I've seen of this plant in its native state.

mexipediumxerophyticum07-28-2012.jpg
[/IMG]

Latest posts

Back