Mexipedium growing media and care

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Anca86

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everybody

I have 2 Mexipediums and I would like to know which media should I use and how to care for them in terms of watering. I have 16 17 degrees Celsius in my growing area and around 80% humidity.

I know there are a few treads regarding Mexipedium but I still did not find an answer to my questions.

Thanks

Paphman910

Reaction score
I grow my mexipediums in a mix of fine bark, coarse perlite, sphagnum moss and dolomite. I have about 5 pots of them growing under my lights.

Anca86

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I grow my mexipediums in a mix of fine bark, coarse perlite, sphagnum moss and dolomite. I have about 5 pots of them growing under my lights.
If I don't have dolomite, what can I use instead? How often do you water?
Thanks

Paphman910

Reaction score
If I don't have dolomite, what can I use instead? How often do you water?
Thanks
You could add bonemeal and I usually water 2 times a week in summer and once a week in winter depending on when the medium dries out. They don't like to be extreme dry as the thick leaves suggest. I usually stick my finger in the mix down to about 1.5 inches deep to feel if it is dry.

Anca86

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
You could add bonemeal and I usually water 2 times a week in summer and once a week in winter depending on when the medium dries out. They don't like to be extreme dry as the thick leaves suggest. I usually stick my finger in the mix down to about 1.5 inches deep to feel if it is dry.
Thanks for the tips

Latest posts