Mexipedium flasks or seed?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1214215

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get Mexipedium flasks or seed. I have been looking for flasks with no luck.

Brett

good luck finding some.
this is an excerpt from Ladyslipper.com from a few years ago:

Mexipedium xerophyticum has proven quite easy to germinate in the laboratory, but a bit more difficult to grow up in flask and compot. However, it is becoming somewhat more available with time as progress is made in learning to overcome these obstacles. Hybrids have also been generated with Phragmipediums, however to the best of my knowledge none have yet bloomed.

Anyone out there got seed? I would like to buy some. I can afford to send mature plants to Thailand due to certificate costs.

Brett

Has anyone got any update on the Mexipedium Hybrids question?
I have been asking for many years, and still there seems to be none ever to make it out of their flasks....?

Anyone out there got seed? I would like to buy some. I can afford to send mature plants to Thailand due to certificate costs.

Brett

I can try to pollinate my plant. I've never do this before and since it's a selfling it may not take.

Oh Dear!!!
I have pollinated loads of Slippers in my life. I have huge difficulties with xerophyticum, just because everthing is so small. If you've never pollinated a slipper before you'll better find something else first, something were you can actually see, what you are doing. Trust me, I'm not just saying it's difficult...IT REALLY IS!

Oh Dear!!!
I have pollinated loads of Slippers in my life. I have huge difficulties with xerophyticum, just because everthing is so small. If you've never pollinated a slipper before you'll better find something else first, something were you can actually see, what you are doing. Trust me, I'm not just saying it's difficult...IT REALLY IS!

I've only ever collected pollen before from my armeniacum. That seemed easy. I'll trust you on this one, but I may still give it a try.

Just for sport: try and find (or see) if you can clearly determin the pollen on one of your flowers. Just to find them is an act, they are tiny. we all know were they would be sitting, but you almost can't see them.:sob:

You can find Mex flasks in taiwan.Try Hung Sheng nursey...usee to have it few months ago....hope not sold out.

Hung Shen does not sell them anymore, they had flasks but they were abandoned due to "bad condition" as they say...

Rumors still fly about Mexipedium/Phrag hybrids with intermediate foliage -- if someone out there really has such, can they please reveal some photos for the membership? Join with a new name and keep your ID sceret!!

i have selfed mex's and have them in flasks at the moment.they are slow growing,as for crosses of them any that I have heard done have not germinated

Russell,
I think I speak for everyone interested in the Species when I ask:

Would you please let us see some pictures, and tell us how you've done it? Should you not want to share the secrets: we's be happy with pictures!!! How long did you pod need on the plant? And: how much seed did you get from that pod (given that they are rather slim and long...)?

mexi1.jpg

here is the mother flask that the seed was in as you can see they are growing roots in the media,
mexi4.jpg

here is a replate into there growing media.The seed was put into mother flask Feb 8 2010,I am affraid I did not keep records on how long it took to germinate or how long the seed pod took to grow as it was not a cross

I currently have seed being germinated at Troy Meyers Conservatory and can fill in some of the information requested above...

Regarding pollination... I successfully pollinated my "Windy Hill" cross on the first try, using a dSLR with live view and a macro lens, with the live view set to magnify to actual size. Both subsequent attempts failed, but were done with a mark I eyeball.

Maturation time... It took the pod on my selfing of my "Windy Hill" division five and a half months to mature in windowsill light. My "Oaxaca" division is blooming now, and I'll see if those numbers pan out on the other clone, and under lights. I harvested it just as the pod started to brown in spots, but was still mostly greenish-yellow.

Germination time...Still waiting to find out formally, but sounds like it wasn't particularly slow. We'll see about growth rates after that...

Latest posts

Back