mexi twin flowers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's a piece of black velvet draped over a sheet of pegboard (velvet is dusty and needs cleaning though) far enough back so that it's out of focus.
I use the pegboard, so that if I want to set something 'on' the background or hang it, I can mount a peg behind the cloth, and then bunch the cloth on top to set a pot or hang a mounted plant

There is a ton of razzle dazzle on this thread.
Magazine worthy.
Envy.

How long do the flowers last?
Thanks.

wohoo!

I put some of my orchids in the rochester show two weekends ago, and my phal stuartiana got a red ribbon and my mexipedium got a blue! .. glad I remembered to put the mexi in the box before I headed out the door! most of the flowers on my phal stuartiana are still holding on

mexistui.JPG

the third bud is getting ready to open, and I can see that a fourth bud is forming!

an update - I can't believe that this orchid keeps flowering! it's on it's fifth open flower, and there are two buds on the way. does anyone know how many flowers a mexipedium can have sequentially flower on one stem?

mexibuds511a.JPG

I asked Joe Kunisch at one of the orchid shows if he remembered which it might be, but he didn't really know. I don't think he's ever put clonal names on his mexipediums. I think it was four or five years ago, when he was trying all of his paphs and all in semi-hydro culture. under lights in his basement, his mexi seedlings were growing quite well but since he keeps things quite cool in winter and at nights, things didn't fare well

Last edited:
I think you can clear 5 without too much trouble Charles. Sometimes you may get branching from some of these older spikes too.

Great little powerhouse of a plant. Looks like you'll have another two growths to flower next year.

Back