mexi twin flowers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
a few days ago I had snapped a quick pic of the first mexipedium flower that had opened, but since there was a small blemish on the bottom of the pouch, I had neglected to post the flower. imagine my surprise when I looked tonight and the second bud was almost fully open and the first bud was still there! it was dark out, so I had to use the light of one of my plant carts to take pictures of the two flowers. there is still one more bud (maybe two) on the spike which could open; I don't know if all three flowers could be open at once, but having two open is pretty cool :D

mexitwins311a.JPG

a much better whole plant picture

mexitwins311b.JPG

twins!

mexitwins311c.JPG

backside showing the pink blush

if we get some sunlight I may to try and take another close-up picture with better lighting

Good job getting that to bloom. I must be doing something wrong. :(

actually for a while it was ignored and I forgot about it! I had put it into the joe pot you see it in and put the plastic dome over the top, and left it on the back of the top shelf of my cart, and I didn't water it (except for when the water in the shelf got high and soaked up the bottom of the pot) for a few months. it was where it was fairly bright. If you notice, the leaves for that growth are quite large, and they are the largest I've seen on any plant I've tried to grow. I'm amazed that it has three flowers/buds...

Congrats! Very nice flowers and good job!
Is it fast grower at you? What kind of potting media do you use?
Mine one is nice and green but extremely slow grower....but some said mexy is fast grower.

The second picture is by far the best xerophyticum shot ever. What camera are you using? My guess would be: we're talking top of the range here...

wow, lots of questions, and thanks! my plant is not a fast grower by any means; I think live sphagnum grows faster! :) the potting media is chunky perlite, charcoal, some seedling bark and crushed coral tossed in. my camera is middle of the line though by no means was it cheap, being a canon 30D; they are up to 60D or something like that, now. canon has a professional line like 5 or 6 D. I was using my sigma I think it's 40mm macro lens.

the sun was out yesterday afternoon when I got home from work, so I took some pictures in the natural light

uppermexitwin311.JPG

a shot slightly from above showing more of the top of the pouch; left flower is old and I did pick it off later as I wanted a closeup of the new flower. in a day, the old flower got smaller, and the new flower grew quite a bit

2mexitwins311b.JPG

new flower

sunlight really does make a nice difference, and if I had enough time I would've put it into the 'glow box' to illuminate the flowers from all around

I think I've heard of something like that, but don't recall how to do it (multiple images merged to make depth or something like that?)
ty! cool to have these flowers, and nice to have pictures turn out well

The amount of detail, sharpness and range of focuss is just stunning. It totally takes away the feeling of how tiny these flowers really are.

The amount of detail, sharpness and range of focuss is just stunning. It totally takes away the feeling of how tiny these flowers really are.

thanks! I was using f25 for really extreme depth of field, and usually I'm only using f16 or so for standard close-ups. I also took a few until I got the depth right (usually focusing closer to the front, maybe a third of the way back for the total desired depth). ... and yes, the flower is only a little smaller than the end of my thumb! I have had some practice with tiny flowers, since I often photograph tiny things like heart-leaf twayblade, green adder's mouth and a few other native orchids (flowers) that are smaller than my thumbnail. this is easier in my apt. since there isn't any wind, no mud on the ground, no mosquitos or blackflies, and I can turn the orchid whichever direction I want! (and I don't have to drive 50 miles to get pictures of it) :)

Latest posts

Back