Mericloning

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear All, as I heard in a german nursery there must be a lab in belgium in which the mericloning of Paphiopedilum vinicolod Typ was successful. Has anyone heard about this or is this as usual just a joke or a fantastic story
Roland

It comes up now and again. There are limited successes. Sometimes I just hear stories, sometimes it gets published. I have a paper somewhere in my files about mericloning a specific phrag (Cardinale? Something like that).

As I understood it many years ago, the technical limitation was more in the preparation of sterile meristems than in the actual propagation. It was evidently very hard to dissociate the meristem from bacteria and fungi.

It has been a long time since I gave this much thought (I had some plans, but never did it). So perhaps the technology has improved.

There was an article in the Orchid Digest several years back that confirmed success in mericloning some paphs. If I recall there was limited success and an issue with deformity.

Sorry but I don’t remember the author or exact issue.

It has been done. Its unreliable and of course destructive - a particular issue for paphs.
You can buy several mericloned paphs from Taiwan - Gloria Naugle 'Red' and Hsinying Citron 'Account' from In Charm

It has been done. Its unreliable and of course destructive - a particular issue for paphs.
You can buy several mericloned paphs from Taiwan - Gloria Naugle 'Red' and Hsinying Citron 'Account' from In Charm

Yes, there is a Lady Isabel x armeniacum 'Green Valley' mericlone as well. The Taiwanese seem to have been cloning Paphs for a while. A friend here has the Gloria Naugle 'Red' mericlone.

Just got a seedling of the mericlone Gloria Naugle 'Red' from a friend. Be a while before I flower it though.

Gloria%20Naugle%20Red.jpg

Confirm,In-Charm,mericloned succesfully few Paphs,particularly some maudiae type and some complexes but also others...

Latest posts

Back