Member Banned

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Jon in SW Ohio

Reefer, the legal kind
Reaction score
To be honest, his age means little to me. I've been growing and studying orchids since my early teens along with many other orchid growers and forum members. I personally think being young when you are addicted to orchids is great as you have the opportunity to spend a long life with something you hold dear. I've met plenty of people half my age that know twice as much as I do and I truely respect that.

Unfortunately his age and intellect are not in question here. The cut and dry truth comes down to his dealings with others. I don't care how old you are, if you can't treat others fairly in dealings and then you try to manipulate the situations by blaming everyone else for your shady practices we can't condone your actions by giving you an open marketplace to continue these actions and let you find fresh unknowing marks.

Lets be honest, stuff happens! There will always be times when for one reason or another things don't go right and there's nothing you can do about it. That's life and everyone understands completely. But after a while, when the same thing happens over and over to the point that it's cliche you have to start wondering if something sinister isn't going on. And at that point it becomes the responsibility of places like this forum to take a stand and not condone these actions by providing a place for them to go on. I truely believe orchid people are the best people you could ever hope to associate yourself with, and blindly trust any orchid enthusiast without question. On the extremely rare occasion that there is an exception to this, I will do everything in my power to make sure they are eliminated so the one rotten apple isn't in contact with the rest of the bunch long enough to spoil the rest. We have an incredible thing going, and I will do everything I can to protect it and I know others will as well.

Jon

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
I just want to add, while we might not agree with CITES, I think we call all agree that shipping plants from US to Can. or Can to US w/out phytos and CITES docs, is looked upon by F&W as being illegal. That's the issue with Mahon. Either he is offering illegal plants or services, or he is offering services and not delivering upon them, or he is baldly lying about his associations with people such as Olaf Gruss, which have been found to not exist.

Many, MANY months of this behavior was endured before the decision was made to ban Mahon, and it is not just this forum he was banned at.

Frankly, I'm weary of the entire subject at this point. The bottom line is, treat your fellow members well, and you will be treated well here. Very well, I think. :)

P

patrix

I agree with Heather, this was not a knee jerk decision and this forum has spent way too much time debating his behavior-how many threads have 7 pages. I do not consider the matter worth any sustained thought-Mahon got was he deserved now can we let it rest? The moderators of this forum did what they (and many others) thought was the proper course of action. Why is this still an issue for conjecture about his proven deceitfulness on many levels , his future, maturity level, military aspirations or any other topic concerning him? Can we let this matter go and stop ruminating on it?

smartie2000

Reaction score
I guess the Mahon I know is very different. I overlooked the date he joined the other forum I participate in and he joined in Sept 2006, which is fairly recent. So far he hasn't done anything wrong, and only did right by sharing his knowledge. Maybe he will show his evil side soon.
His great intellect with taxonomy does drive one member on the other forum crazy though, but thats only because she hates taxonomy. Hehe a thread Mahon and I participated in really made her unhappy, it was a little too much for her to handle. It was about discovery and naming phrag kovachii versus phag peruvianum, taxonomy and CITES. She really supported the name Phag peruvianum, but Mahon and I really put that down in a heated debate. We really didn't say anything insulting and stated the facts we knew with respect. I have to admit it was a fun thread.

Latest posts