Member Banned

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

NYEric

Reaction score
What, are you calling me old?!? I still use mine! Remember, the next time an oldie like me makes a pass at you; " They don't make 'em like they used to!":rollhappy:

Wendy

Just me!
Reaction score
Funny....he asked me (PM) if he could purchase my Paph dianthum when i posted it for sale last summer. I told him straight out NO....I even stated in the post 'Canada Only Please'. Maybe he didn't see that part. ;)

Tony

Reaction score
I guess I'm one of the few who is sad to see him go. I wasn't around for most of the dealing that gave him his reputation around here, but from talking to him he seems like a good kid who just has some growing up to do like any other 17 year old. I think he will do well in the navy, and I hope he can make amends and return here someday with a clean slate.

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
NYEric said:
What, are you calling me old?!? I still use mine! Remember, the next time an oldie like me makes a pass at you; " They don't make 'em like they used to!":rollhappy:
Hehe, no, of course not. Also, they still make them. :poke:
We have a fridge here that's a 1925 GE Monitor Top and it still works just great! We keep soda and stuff in it.

G

gore42

Regardless of all personal feelings about Pat Mahon, I'm disappointed to see that he was banned. I probably should wait until I'm more awake to explain my grounds... and it sounds as though I don't have the full story. Whatever the case may be, I'm sorry that it came to a ban.

- Matt

C

Cannonball

Nobody wants to see someone banned from any public forum, but it happens. In this case, it happened for a good reason, and took way longer than it should have. This forum put up with his crap for much longer than it should have.

How many times do you let someone delay sending payment or plants for a deal they negotiated? Do you let him continue until he rips off a new member who doesn't know his history? How many other members would you let him screw before you stepped in? How many threads have to be started asking him to complete his transactions in good faith? How many lies can a person tell you before it ruins your trust of anything they say?

Mahon had a history of bad transactions with at least four members of this forum. Whether or not you thought he was a good kid, he made multiple mistakes and lied about every single one of them. He has alot of growing up to do, and the only way he is going to learn from his mistakes is by having to pay for them. He was given a second chance at the other forum, and he burned it up. Good riddance.

M

Mark

My mom had one. Also had the Oster(R) clippers that she used to cut my hair. I was known as "Peachfuzz" through most of grade school :( :p

NYEric

Reaction score
Marco said:
Yup thats it...We still have one and I think it still works....Thing is so loud.
Marco, nothing crushes ice better you should steal it from your mom.:wink: Great for making my famous Pina Coladas [aka Pingus Collapsus]
Tony, I don't think Mr. Mahon is cut out for the military because he obviously has to get the last word in and cant take criticism. 2 weeks into basic and he'll be getting his butt handed to him, and causing his squad much attention and angst. AKA not a team player. A middie or NROTC maybe but not straight in. I wish him luck but he needs to grow some. My opinion.

E

Eric Muehlbauer

I must admit I have very mixed feelings about banning anyone...especially after my observations of the arbitrary banishments on our "favorite" other site...(Yes, that is sarcasm...) I found Mahon incredibly obnoxious, but I must admit that I read all posts regarding him with a certain degree of entertainment...granted I did once speak up in his defense, but only in defending his right, as a teenager, to act like an arrogant sphincter and not get totally ripped a new one for being one......I certainly cannot condone ripping people off and lying about trades and sales...and I can see that as being a more valid reason for his banning than his obnoxiousness. But.......I can't help thinking....how much of what he ever said has truth? Is he really going into the military? In fact, is he really a teenager? It seems he's been 17 for awhile...I remember when he first appeared on the "other" site, I contacted Heather about him....I was convinced that he was a USDA "plant" trying to get info on who might have or trade in illegal species....I just couldn't believe he was for real. Even now...while he says that the other forum banned him...big whoopie, not a major achievement in the orchid cyberworld,... he was still listed as a member who had logged in, at least as of yesterday...(Yes, I do check it out every now and then, even though my posts must be inspected first and I'm not allowed to look up other members, or pm them...) He is also on the OSF, and on the Orchid Species list.....so far no deals discussed that I have noticed. At any rate, I must admit that I am curous about what will happen with him..........Take care, Eric

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
You make some excellent points, Eric. I must admit that, on occasion, I marvelled at the amount of knowledge a 17 year old could have. At other times, I was amazed at how arrogant a 17 year old could be.

Wogga

Obsessed
Reaction score
Jeebus! I've actually got an osterizer - i think its from the mid 60's. it was a hand me down when i first moved out of the parents house, haha. that things taken a beating and stuck right with it - pretty impressive. so there you go - not only old people know what an osterizer is!:p

As for pat - i've talked with him personally a good bit, and heres the sad part.
He's a REALLY smart kid, with a lot of potential, great connections, and the BEST tutelage (atleast as far as pleurothallidinae goes - you dont get better than Dr. Luer...)
BUT
He certainly does have a lot of growing up to do. I really hope he does, because , obviously his behavior is completely unacceptable, but i think he has the potential to grow out of it and be a really good contributor to the community.

I hope he grows out of these tendencies, for his own wellbeing.

I feel quite bad for anyone hes shorted or been shady with, as well. I know how sh*tty it is to get screwed by someone you trust. Sorry guys.

K

Kev

I just came across this thread while checking to see what was going on over here. I have mixed feelings about the banishment option having been banned on another forum myself a long time ago. Isn't there a special club for us "kicked off" folks? :evil:

I'm not sure it really solves anything other than to chase the person over to some other forum where they start their game all over again. At least if he still were here you could do the public humiliation thing over and over and over. That's always fun!:rollhappy:

With that said, I was also one of his victims on another forum. I bought a plant from him and eventually had to contact his mother about getting the darned thing. Heather remembers I'm sure.

Oh yes, it finally bloomed this year and was not the plant I purchased.

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Kev said:
I just came across this thread while checking to see what was going on over here. I have mixed feelings about the banishment option having been banned on another forum myself a long time ago. Isn't there a special club for us "kicked off" folks? :evil:
Yes, that would be this one. ;)

Kev said:
Oh yes, it finally bloomed this year and was not the plant I purchased.
Well, well...quel' suprise!

*Okay, seriously, everyone - For those of you who thought he should remain to be humiliated, you should know that there is a forum option called "Coventry" where you can mass ignore someone. Essentially, if we had Coventry'd Mahon, he could have posted up the wazoo but none of us would have seen nor (hence) replied to any of his posts. It is pretty much the creme de la creme of ostricism. However, in light of the way *other* forums handle this sort of thing (such as sending people to the Disney.com website) we felt it would be a childish option and chose to be done with him altogether.

That said, he's still emailing me. Today, he added me to his msn "friends" list. I promptly blocked him. I will admit, I was the hold out among the ST moderation committee, but I am so fed up with his antics. I'm done. He can go bother someone else, until they ban him too.

Latest posts