Mem. Larry Heuer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow very good looking roots. How do you keep the potting so clear, no algae growth at all.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

That is Shun Fa Golden.... Mal x hang..... Really well grown

Nope. This is malipoense x emersonii.
I know the story about SFG being labeled as MLH due to legal issues in the recent past. Some flower might look so similar and thus confusing.
This one is clearly MLH.

How do u grow moss in orchid pot. I can never grow them. They look pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do u grow moss in orchid pot. I can never grow them. They look pretty.

You start with a good culture (i.e. a nice size clump of the right kind of moss). Some people have luck with collecting it from outdoors. Choose moss that's growing in the cracks of pavement or cement. Personally, I think the best source is getting it from other orchid growers. There are lots of different types of moss, and some/many require very specific conditions to thrive, so you might as well start with something you know likes growing in orchid pots.

From there, the moss needs to be kept in bright light conditions with good humidity and frequent moisture. Some things I've found that help it get established are: 1. put sphagnum moss down first, then live moss on top 2. lightly mist once a day 3. keep the potting mix at least 1/4" - 1/2" (1 cm) below the lip of the pot to help conserve humidity. Generally it does best grown on moisture retentive mixes, and with smaller sized chunks of mix ... of course by putting down a layer of sphag first, you'll have that covered.

Once the moss is established, you don't really have to do anything special for it as long as you water the plant often enough, your humidity is good, and the plant is growing under good lighting. It'll grow and then you can start breaking off chunks and getting them started in other pots.

You start with a good culture (i.e. a nice size clump of the right kind of moss). Some people have luck with collecting it from outdoors. Choose moss that's growing in the cracks of pavement or cement. Personally, I think the best source is getting it from other orchid growers. There are lots of different types of moss, and some/many require very specific conditions to thrive, so you might as well start with something you know likes growing in orchid pots.

From there, the moss needs to be kept in bright light conditions with good humidity and frequent moisture. Some things I've found that help it get established are: 1. put sphagnum moss down first, then live moss on top 2. lightly mist once a day 3. keep the potting mix at least 1/4" - 1/2" (1 cm) below the lip of the pot to help conserve humidity. Generally it does best grown on moisture retentive mixes, and with smaller sized chunks of mix ... of course by putting down a layer of sphag first, you'll have that covered.

Once the moss is established, you don't really have to do anything special for it as long as you water the plant often enough, your humidity is good, and the plant is growing under good lighting. It'll grow and then you can start breaking off chunks and getting them started in other pots.

Wow! Thank u so much for this detail guideline. I appreciate it. I guess I don't have good humidity. When I bought plants, some pots came along with moss. Even those moss died later. I keep my plant indoor on east windowsill. I have the humidity tray. I water my plants with tap water once a week. Still, I get root rot and old leaves rot on the base. 817a3dfd9e90af801c389adc239963ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Survived the long drought and still fragrant. slightly.

ICyAP5fl.jpg

Latest posts

Back