Mem. Ken-Ichi Abe

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
It started to show a sheath back in July.
Then, it just sat there low doing absolutely nothing up until around Thanksgiving week when a fuzzy little bud appeared out of the sheath and started to grow at a good speed.

It was very interesting how non-malipoense the whole spike and bud looked through the whole process as well as the speed, considering half of this is malipoense.
Plus, the leaves pattern and plant size are all heavily micranthum, which I like.

The flower started to open about one week ago, but then the pouch really swelled up in just last two days!

I see malipoense influence on the color of the staminode most strongly.

Some online examples show this cross looks like Emma Decker, which is basically the same genetic make up, just differently made. Yellowish malipoense.

I know it's probably going to open some more, but took pictures anyway because it looks as if its already wilting. Maybe not, but the yellowish color of the bract and all really makes me think that way. I hope I'm wrong.

No scent.

I don't like the flower, but I plan on reblooming it as it already has a new start and it had some history.

Cloud's Orchids gave this to me as a bonus plant about three four years ago.
It looked great as a medium to small seedling back then.
It grew very slowly and one day this one leaf started to show a few black marks. no rots, and nothing I had seen before. I was freaking out worrying what it might be and if it would spread onto my other plants.
I didn't have dragons blood back then. I thought about chucking the plant, but then just wiped it with some hydrogen peroxide.
Subsequent newer leaves came out looking clean.

Now that sick leaf is long gone, and all the newer leaves that grew after that one are looking pristine.

I want to give it a second change just for all the time and effort I have put into growing this one out. :)

A couple of days ago.

TJSZOdxl.jpg

Today.

0u9Bl50l.jpg

uqWNEXMl.jpg

I like the color and tessellation on the petals. I would hope it opens a little more, otherwise it's way too cupped. Even if it doesn't open up much more this round, I'd keep it long enough to bloom one more time as well.

It's a really neat cross. Could benefit from some hangianum genes in the background.

This is about as open as it gets I think.
It is flat, but the petals ends won't completely spread out, plus the pouch is tilted to the right with some dimples.

The actual color is more yellow than the photo shows.

s4rL7jEl.jpg

Latest posts

Back