Meep meep

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
Or, hi. It's been a while. :)

Have been struggling with depression, exhaustion (still am), and financial problems, from all of which my orchids have suffered a huge blow. I've killed several of them, and more will die, I'm afraid.

While some are struggling, others continue as they have done for a while. Here are a bunch of Paphs that have flowered during this time I've been away.

My little callosum var. sublaeve flowered during spring (it's such a cutie):
15690163210_75edc8ecac_b.jpg

15877484295_b5122a9bd7_b.jpg

My appletonianum flowered for the first time. It's rather "meh", but it grows well so I'll keep it for now:
15257825173_63cee8978d_o.jpg

15851670866_88e7d72c12_b.jpg

My robinsonii (a.k.a. unknown appletonianum hybrid) flowered again:
15691713797_6ee89c6d70_b.jpg

15689964138_6ff221d361_b.jpg

A first bloomer, superbiens var. curtisii, caused me problems when I was trying to get some decent photos of it. It was too dark, according to my camera, but I got some pictures of it at least. I was very pleased with this one. A definite keeper, in my eyes:
15689964668_342fcbc7b6_b.jpg

15689964548_127e057ec1_b.jpg

My purpuratum flowered during summer as per-usual (I think I'll have to name it Ol' Faithful, or something):
15690162740_33ba2e12f4_b.jpg

15851670206_bdb202d562_b.jpg

My wardii 'Darkwing' x self, is flowering right now and it's quite difficult to catch the colour properly. I think it may be too dark in the picture:
15851669846_0d3f79a2cc_b.jpg

My cerveranum flowered as well, but unfortunately the pictures were pretty much garbage.

Now, some non Paphs that I want to show quickly:

My Phrag. Green Hornet is still going strong (three spikes, of which one is on its last flower):
15875484771_7701b665f3_b.jpg

This was supposed to be a Phal. Cornustris 'Dark', but it turned out to be a Phal. cornu-cervi. It's a happy little camper, so it'll stay:
15690155150_3248936064_o.jpg

My Dendrobium normanbyense is completely bonkers. This picture is from the second flowering, where it got two spikes (this one matured faster than the other one, which had three flowers). It's spiking again (aren't they supposed to be flowering once a year?), but with five spikes this time. Apparently it likes to be neglected:
15691698077_181d875882_b.jpg

nice blooms (like the curtisii and wardii in particular) and glad you are still growing! keep up the good work!

What a show of species! Sending you positive vibes for your personal situation... I know when I am down, being with my orchids always gets a smile on my face :)

Beautiful! Well done young lady! I am glad you are back! We all miss you!

:clap::clap::clap:
:drool::drool::drool:

Beautifully flowered plants! Your pictures have brought a cheerily smile for me, let them do the same for you.

Sorry about your difficulties, though it looks like your orchids have done very well. That should encourage you -- welcome back!

Oh damn, you got that wardii to bloom again! Mine is still being a pest
and blasting. Depression...been there,do that. It does get better. Take
your meds and outlast it, by gosh. Beautiful blooms, Therese, every single
one.

Welcome back Mutant! I have missed your posts, how are the Roths doing? Don't say they succcumbed to that dreadful rot?
Some beautiful plants you have, but I think that you need more of them:D

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. I'm not free from my depression yet, but the joy of my MK's first flowering prompted me to come back for a visit. It cheered me up far more than anything has done for a while (including the orchids). I'm right now just trying to keep the orchids I have left alive, until I can care properly for them again. We'll see how many will still be with me when that time comes.

nice blooms (like the curtisii and wardii in particular) and glad you are still growing! keep up the good work!
Thanks! I'm very fond of those two darker Paphs as well. After the disappointment of my first superbiens and its washed out colours, the much darker curtisii was like winning the lottery.

Sorry about your difficulties, though it looks like your orchids have done very well. That should encourage you -- welcome back!
The ones that are still alive... Don't know how many has died, but it's several of them.

Oh damn, you got that wardii to bloom again! Mine is still being a pest
and blasting. Depression...been there,do that. It does get better. Take
your meds and outlast it, by gosh. Beautiful blooms, Therese, every single
one.
And the funny part; no humidifiers are running due to the electrical bills being too high. I was counting on it blasting. I've pretty much counted on ALL of them blasting since the humidity is so much lower. It flowered without a hitch, though. I don't think they'll be too happy in the long run, but we'll see.

Yup, taking my meds and hanging in there. :D

Welcome back Mutant! I have missed your posts, how are the Roths doing? Don't say they succcumbed to that dreadful rot?
Some beautiful plants you have, but I think that you need more of them:D
Thank you. :)
Surprisingly enough, the four roths I had left are still with us, two of which are doing pretty great. Especially the smallest one I bought from Asendorfer, 'Starship' x self, is doing very well; it has started to beef up now (and it's still having an amazing root system). This little roth has been a vigorous little grower since I got it. The one I have left from Orchid Inn, has finally grown a decent root system, and is starting to look like it's planning to stay for a while.

Very nices flowers!

Our wardii must be "brothers", but mine isn´t opened yet (after 5 loooong months of bud developing).

I wish you the best, The Mutant. Be strong.

Kind regards.

Surprisingly enough, the four roths I had left are still with us, two of which are doing pretty great. Especially the smallest one I bought from Asendorfer, 'Starship' x self, is doing very well; it has started to beef up now (and it's still having an amazing root system). This little roth has been a vigorous little grower since I got it. The one I have left from Orchid Inn, has finally grown a decent root system, and is starting to look like it's planning to stay for a while.

that's a great accomplishment. they are surprisingly adaptable to house/apartment conditions but to have them grow well means you are doing a good job.

Back