Mealybugs for S/H

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

Jay: here are a couple of sites that suggest some treatments

http://www.succulents.co.za/succulent-plant-pests/mealy-bug.php
http://www.succulents.co.za/succulent-plant-pests/root-mealy-bug.php
http://floriculture.osu.edu/archive/oct97/mealybug.html

I can also ask one of my collegues where I did my practice work! He was expertising in pest control and may (also) be able to suggest a friendly treatment to plants and human and I'll let you know... Good luck till then...

regards, Thanasis

biothanasis, Thank you for all the links, I am going to go through those now.

Lance, I do have a question about the alcohol dip. As I stated there is not a top layer to disturb because they are in leca grown semi-hydroponically. Will it hurt the roots to get the alcohol if I pour it through then rinse after a given amount of time? How long should I let it soak with this direct of a contact with the roots?

Jay

biothanasis, Thank you for all the links, I am going to go through those now.
Lance, I do have a question about the alcohol dip. As I stated there is not a top layer to disturb because they are in leca grown semi-hydroponically. Will it hurt the roots to get the alcohol if I pour it through then rinse after a given amount of time? How long should I let it soak with this direct of a contact with the roots?Jay

Jay - Lance has already answered that question.......

Jay......

Simple solution: Go buy a quart bottle of rubbing alcohol and douse your plants. After 10 minutes drain what remains out of the crotch/sheaths, or whatever. If necessary, disturb the top half-inch of potting soil and then drench the roots with water.Yours is a small problem.
Jay,
If you want to get rid of mealy bugs follow my advice. Yours is a small problem with a simple (easy) solution. I'll be more specific....
...... Isopropyl rubbing alcohol will kill them all, including eggs, but you need to contact them with the alcohol.
....probably 5 minutes would be enough.It would be a good idea, althoughely necessary with most species, to rinse your pots after treatment, with plain water, this will prevent any chance of damage to the roots. Also, tip out any alcohol that remains in or on the leaves.

Jay - you're making this way too complicated! 5-10 minutes - then flush the pots. It's that simple! MANY of us have been using alcohol for years. I don't even 'tip out any alcohol' & I've NEVER had a problem. Let common sense work for you - what happens to alcohol when exposed to air? EVAPORATION

Since the collection is stated to be 'small' a normal maintenance rubbing of a paper towel soaked in alcohol every few days should be sufficient, plus you can see where the mealies are.

He's just worried about the s/h resevoir and the plants roots sitting in it for a length of time. I've never resorted to using an alcohol wash, but I'd be sure to empty the resevoir.

As Candace has stated, I was worried about the resevoir. As I read the posts most of them seem targeted towards mixes other than straight LECA.

I am sorry you feel that I was trying to make this complicated, but I feel it is better to ask before I do then to make an assumption that this will apply to all orchids and growing conditions and wipe out my collection.

Thank you to those that offered tip.

Goodbye,

Jay

Jay, us s/h folks gotta stick together. Feel free to ask questions. And Blake has TONS of experience with malathion.:rollhappy:

They don't NEED malalthion, it's is just a few mealies! Christ...I'm not sure why people jumped all over Jay here, he was just looking for advice and I feel it got way over complicated. Alcohol and a q-tip would have been plenty of information to help you solve the problem, Jay. I hope you aren't leaving us for good.

Talk about overthinking!

YES they do need malathion!!!!
just a few mealies breed with just a few more mealies and soon after you have MEALY HELL!!!!!!!!
They breed like bunnies, these demons!

As Candace has stated, I was worried about the resevoir. As I read the posts most of them seem targeted towards mixes other than straight LECA.
I am sorry you feel that I was trying to make this complicated, but I feel it is better to ask before I do then to make an assumption that this will apply to all orchids and growing conditions and wipe out my collection.
Thank you to those that offered tip.
Goodbye,
Jay

Jay - I can understand your concern & I'll be the first to apologize if I came on too strong but as Blake indicated waiting to act is going to cause you MORE of a problem. We would never give anyone advise that would jeopardize their collections, our love of orchids is what brought us together. Regardless to what type of mix is being used, the key (or if there is ever any doubt) always flush the pot & with S/H the reserviour is going to get flushed.

YES they do need malathion!!!!
just a few mealies breed with just a few more mealies and soon after you have MEALY HELL!!!!!!!!
They breed like bunnies, these demons!

Perhaps in a greenhouse with hundreds of plants but in a small collection I've never had an issue, you just have to keep on top of them. I stand by alcohol. I don't think the big gun pesticides are necessary. Sorry, we should just agree to disagree.

Back