Mealybugs for S/H

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jay

I have found a couple of mealys on a couple of my orchids. :mad: I separated them from the rest and hit them with some bayer insecticide.

I was wondering if any of the S/H growers have used anything to put in the resevoir or over the leca to work systemic?

Jay

Do you just keep it in the resevoir for a period of time then flush? Does it also work as a preventative measure? I only have 20 orchids, and have only seen mealys on 3, should I treat the whole lot because they were very close to each other and it is inevidble that they will get the little monsters as well? :mad:

Thanks for your help Candace,

jay

With the MeritWP, it's absorbed through the leaves, so you just apply on the leaves to run-off stage. OrtheneWP is used as a drench. I have seen some photoxicity of some paphs when leaving OrtheneWP in the s/h resevoir. 99% of my plants showed no effects when I left it in the resevoir to be absorbed, but a couple of my paphs haven't appreciated that at all. So, in the future, if I drench with Orthene I'm planning on letting it sit in the resevoir for a couple of hours and then flushing my paphs. It stinks badly so be prepared.

If I find critters I spray them all.

I was doing a couple of searches and there is an Orthene 97 WP that is supposed to be just as good but not smell. Anyone try this yet? Also is this something I should be able to find at Lowe's or do I have to order online?

Jay

Lowes etc. won't carry it. I order mine through www.rosemania.com http://rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page8.html

As for the smell, it's actually a good thing-although nasty. It's a warning to you to stay out of the g.h. for a day or so. And you should, as to not get any of it on your skin. It's tempting to putter around in the g.h. several hours after using some of the other non-stench chemicals on the market. You definately don't want to do that after using the Orthene!

I don't know...but I use the 97WP and I think it reeks!! But, my nose is very sensitive.

The problem is that this is all in my home, not a greenhouse.

Should I use something else?

jay

Can you move them outside for a couple of days? These pesticides are for outdoor/g.h useage. If your night temps. are still o.k. that's what I'd do.

The problem is having enough shade for the daytime. The sun here is a killer even in winter.

Jay

The problem is having enough shade for the daytime. The sun here is a killer even in winter.
Jay

20 orchids can't take up that much space. Don't you have a tarp? bedsheets? something to use as temporary shade for a day or two?

I just used the Orthene WP on the cyms today(outside). It is the last treatment before coming inside for the season. We are supposed to have a chance of snow tomorrow night here in Western PA so I guess they will come in for the last time. We have had a number of hard freezes, but I have been putting them back out for the sunny daylight hours the last 2 weeks. By the way, I am able to purchase the product at my local Agway Feed store.

Jay......

Simple solution: Go buy a quart bottle of rubbing alcohol and douse your plants. After 10 minutes drain what remains out of the crotch/sheaths, or whatever. If necessary, disturb the top half-inch of potting soil and then drench the roots with water.Yours is a small problem.

Orthene is great, practically safe enough to eat, and forget about pesticide smells, they can't hurt you. RI, (re-entry interval) is: as soon as the liquid dries. But, rubbing alcohol kills most critters on a smaller scale, so go for it, first.

I'm gonna call bullshit on Orthene being safe to eat.....

If I go with the alcohol approach, is it ok for the roots? I have all of my orchids in S/H.

Otherwise I may have to go get a tarp. There are no shade trees in the desert, just palm trees. I know the sun is still brutal even in the winter because I burned 6 last January in one day, killing one.

Jay

Jay,

If you want to get rid of mealy bugs follow my advice. Yours is a small problem with a simple (easy) solution. I'll be more specific....

Mealy bugs reside under the top layers of the potting medium. You see them when they are active, on your plant's leaves, bulbs, etc. Isopropyl rubbing alcohol will kill them all, including eggs, but you need to contact them with the alcohol.

Go get a quart of rubbing alcohol from the grocery or drug store, and also get an empty plastic bottle with a hand sprayer. Douse your pots and plants with the alcohol, in fact, you could even fill a larger jar or pot from the kitchen and then submerge the orchid pots (only) for several minutes each....probably 5 minutes would be enough. Disturbing the top inch or less of the mix will ensure the alcohol will reach the mealies which often make an impervious shell of sorts around their nest. With the hand sprayer you could squirt alcohol into the leaf sheathes and other cracks and crannies, etc.

It would be a good idea, although not entirely necessary with most species, to rinse your pots after treatment, with plain water, this will prevent any chance of damage to the roots. Also, tip out any alcohol that remains in or on the leaves.

You do not need to use Orthene with only a few plants. As I said, Orthene is a very mild pesticide, it carries the same warning label as a bottle of aspirin, isopropyl alcohol, and numerous other household items. It stinks, but it's cheap and it works very well if you read and follow label directions...

I'm an expert orchid grower and you can trust my advice.

well, I'm a chemist..
So, Lance.
I say we have a little "drink off"
I'll take shots of tequila and you take shots of concentrated orthene.
The first to die loses.
Whatcha think???

Blake, I think you should do shots of Orthene too. You do have prior malathion poisoning in your recent history, so you may have the advantage:poke:

Back