Mealybug treatments that can be applied directly to roots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of a sudden, I feel the need to make a couple of comments (I blame the wine):

Please use the pest-control agent that is intended for the pest.

Drug store hydrogen peroxide is a topical disinfectant. I read too many times about folks wanting to treat insect issues with it. (Ditto for Physan). Insect issues require insecticides. Mite issues require miticides. Infections require fungicides or bactericides that penetrate systemically or hang around long enough to penetrate a wound.

Drugstore hydrogen peroxide is minimally stabilized with stannous chloride. Once placed on your plants, the decomposition is extremely energetic and can be damaging to tissues, especially root hairs. Plus, it’s so sudden that there is no residual benefit and you’re left with pools of water that can actually foster infection.

If you want to use a peroxide product, look for a phytochemical version - Oxidate 2.0. The concentration of peroxide is but a fraction of that in drugstore stuff, but is stabilized with peroxyacetic acid, which keeps it chemically active until it is dry, and with an energy release that is curative, to damaging.

Orthene can be used quite effectively as a drench without spraying all over the
area SB. It does stink to high heaven and you have to leave the area for a bit.
It works on just about every plant pest with the exception of bush snails...and
slugs.

All of a sudden, I feel the need to make a couple of comments (I blame the wine):

Please use the pest-control agent that is intended for the pest.

Drug store hydrogen peroxide is a topical disinfectant. I read too many times about folks wanting to treat insect issues with it. (Ditto for Physan). Insect issues require insecticides. Mite issues require miticides. Infections require fungicides or bactericides that penetrate systemically or hang around long enough to penetrate a wound.

Drugstore hydrogen peroxide is minimally stabilized with stannous chloride. Once placed on your plants, the decomposition is extremely energetic and can be damaging to tissues, especially root hairs. Plus, it’s so sudden that there is no residual benefit and you’re left with pools of water that can actually foster infection.

If you want to use a peroxide product, look for a phytochemical version - Oxidate 2.0. The concentration of peroxide is but a fraction of that in drugstore stuff, but is stabilized with peroxyacetic acid, which keeps it chemically active until it is dry, and with an energy release that is curative, to damaging.
It was a mistake

Just chiming in with another nod for Orthene. I just knocked a mealybug infestation out and several of my paphs were in bloom. No negative effect on the plant or bloom or bud.

On the worst plants, I followed up with this on the top of the medium (image below). 1/2 tsp sprinkled around was sufficient. I found a few leftover dead mealybugs in the plant trays the next morning.

Orthene does stink and it has to be sprayed outside and with at least two applications (as Ray already mentioned).

Attachments

• 483449B9-BA9D-42FF-ACBF-188E2DEB4970.png
    483449B9-BA9D-42FF-ACBF-188E2DEB4970.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back