Mealy bugs, scale and aphids oh my!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Candace, the humidity is a problem right now. But, I do have them in a spot in my house where they get direct full morning and afternoon sun. In the summer they were hung on my screened in porch where they got full afternoon sun.

The root systems look great right now. They are growing profusely since I got them. One of them even has put out a little ki-ki. The roots are big and fat and get green right away when I water them. They are in plastic baskets with a little orchid bark and some perlite. They are being hung off the blinds right now.

With water I am misting them twice a day but it may not be enough. They were both rescues from being thrown in the trash bin from lowes. I didn't know if I could grow them but it was either me or the trash that afternoon. I couldn't bear to see them go. They have both grown several new leaves and are continuing to grow more.

But, candace...I think you are 100 percent right....I don't think they are as happy as they could be in my house. I am trying to work up a design for building a little hut inside so I can get better humidity. Gah! I wish I had more money! :)

So....right now without the money I am not sure I can do much more for them. I am fertilizing weakly weekly right now. Beyond that I am not sure. I want to invest in a humidifier when I can to help.

Bluefirepegasus

Wet towels? In college I had a girlfriend who swore by hanging wet towels around her plants. Pebble trays can sort of work if they are really large but mostly any type of a humidity tray is more of a fancy drip tray and grouping all of your plants together can help. Maybe try all three at once? I don't know, I won't try vandas any more. I simply don't want to create the proper lighting for them.

The root systems look great right now. They are growing profusely since I got them. One of them even has put out a little ki-ki. The roots are big and fat and get green right away when I water them. They have both grown several new leaves and are continuing to grow more.

Sounds like they're doiing everything but flowering and taking out the garbage. I'd say you're doing fine at this rate; if they make it through the dryness of the winter indoors they'll be fine. :)

I sure hope so. One of them is the popular deep blue vanda with the checkerboard pattern on it. That is my fav kind of vanda so I am anxious to have it succeed. The other is the popular fuscia ascocenda that you see often.

So, here's to them growing!

Bluefirepegasus

Back