Max tenuifolia growing up (literally)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

heliomum

I have a Max tenuifolia. Each new growth is above the next one so most of the divisions are in the air and they don't get that much water so the leaves end up crinkly. How can I fix this?:poke:

I can't add that much humidity because I don't want mold and I do have a water tray with pebbles under it.

Humidity trays don't raise humidity significantly to make much of a difference unless the growing area is enclosed. It's a great marketing tool and they're handy for catching spills, that's about it. A humidifier is helpful in dry environments. What is your humidity in your grow area?

hmmm...I find when I water more mine plump up this winter. Even if it means sitting in water. My humidity is poor too during the winter and mine is in a clay pot like this:
DSCN1138.jpg

That was last years blooming. Hopefully it blooms again this year. The plant is grown taller now. its just how its habit is.

I have a Max tenuifolia. Each new growth is above the next one so most of the divisions are in the air and they don't get that much water so the leaves end up crinkly. How can I fix this?:poke:

That is the natural growth habit of teunifolia. In nature the plants grow on large limbs and actually hang down and cascade out into space. Sometimes the blooming stems may be 4 or 5 feet from the roots that are attached to the tree.

Why not mount it so that it grows up the mount? That's what I ended up dong with mine, as I couldn't stand looking at it in a pot.

That is the natural growth habit of teunifolia. In nature the plants grow on large limbs and actually hang down and cascade out into space. Sometimes the blooming stems may be 4 or 5 feet from the roots that are attached to the tree.

Wonder if I should attach my tenuifolia onto the renanthera vietnamica. both of them want to climb forever, and neither one wants to flower.:D

The teunifolia I've seen growing wild do not climb, they fall. Or they pile up on top of old growth. The new roots are not looking for a place to attach so Eric's suggestion to mist the plant is the correct solution.

There are also some clonal varieties that have shorter rhizomes that are better suited to pot culture than others with longer runners.

The best solution for growing specimen plants may be as a hanging basket?

Latest posts

Back