Maudiae Paph

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFLguy

Reaction score
This was the first orchid I ever owned and I'm glad to say it's still alive!
2c5223d4060dade382b1a5bb5ed4d0db.jpg
Of course the first growth it threw out ended up being a keiki and there's almost no information about Paph. keikis out there... but it's alive and throwing out a new growth from the base so I'm sure now it's getting new roots too!

Very pretty. nice dorsal and interesting spotting on the petals.
Jerry

has an unusual look like there's some multi-flora blood in it - long, spotted petals. Nice flower
59b4a584e0a6ff216389862e0840ad18.jpg
Well something might be going on with regards to more than one flower
I'm pretty sure that most of the Raisin Pie Supersuk crosses we see around are just labeled as such because they were easier to just give one single name instead of printing tons of different names for each cross.

And thank you both for the compliments on the flower, I never know what to expect with this plant, how many of your Paphs do this?
30d837a647a87bf830a7e5d23feb3bf7.jpg
Hahaha

SFLguy,
Now I see what you are referring to as a keiki. Most probably a stolon,
more common in parvis, especially armeniacum. Most phrag. besseae
also produce stolons. And I have a paph. Makulii that consistently sends
them up. Only problematic when it comes time to repot.
Not your typical Raisin Pie Supersuk cross, but not sure about multifloral
influence. Jerry

SFLguy,
Now I see what you are referring to as a keiki. Most probably a stolon,
more common in parvis, especially armeniacum. Most phrag. besseae
also produce stolons. And I have a paph. Makulii that consistently sends
them up. Only problematic when it comes time to repot.
Not your typical Raisin Pie Supersuk cross, but not sure about multifloral
influence. Jerry

I initially thought it was a stolon as well but I was told that it wasn't coming out of the right location to be a stolon nor did it have any connection to the roots as stolons usually do. That's what I was told in any case. I've just chalked it up to some weird TC mutation.
The stalk comes up from between the leaves on the older growth, not from the media or the leafless part of the base of the plant.

It is essentially just an elongation of the usually very short, hidden within the leaves, vertical stem. Functionally, since it produces roots and could be detached to propagate the plant it IS a keiki.

It is essentially just an elongation of the usually very short, hidden within the leaves, vertical stem. Functionally, since it produces roots and could be detached to propagate the plant it IS a keiki.

I think it'll only be able to grow roots if I wrap the area with emerging roots in Sphagnum and keep it moist.
It's still a grey area for me haha it could be a keiki, stolon, mutation, or a combo of all three

I had a couple of these hybrids doing such a thing. I hated it. lol
Tell me about it, this was my first Paph And I had no clue what to do with it and no one else did either, what did you end up doing with yours?

I have read that this is caused by low humidity/under watering. When it happened with plants of mine increased watering seemed to help keep future growths in the pot. When your plants done flowering, I would cut it below the emerging roots and pot it up on it's own. High humidity helps a lot at this time.

I have read that this is caused by low humidity/under watering. When it happened with plants of mine increased watering seemed to help keep future growths in the pot. When your plants done flowering, I would cut it below the emerging roots and pot it up on it's own. High humidity helps a lot at this time.
Under watering could be a factor though the new growth hasn't shown any ill effects. I'm thinking of just air layering but if that doesn't work I'll spag and bag

Latest posts

Back