Maudiæ type slowly turning brown

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant! Reminded me to get a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide. Was it a 3% or 5%??? I am scare to soak in bleach though.

It was 3%. The bleach solution was weak; 1/4 cup in 4 gallons.

I think letting it dry out almost completely after treatment also may have had something to do with it.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I am working on curing a Paph. rothschildianum and a Phrag Grande as well, but they are proving to be more difficult.

DAMN ! ! ! IT ! ! !

The Erwinia has returned on the original Maudiae-type, as well as on my Phrag Grande.

Must be directly tied to me taking the plants outside for the summer. Hot, humid and wet, and suddenly Erwinia is back. I guess it was just lying in wait for the right moment.

AARHRHHHGHG!! !

Oh, well. Sorry to hear, but what can you do?
As they say, **** happens.

Look at the brighter side.

Time to go buy a nicer replacement! :evil:

I lost beautiful plant of Paph. Golddollar in bloom last fall to center rot.
I just lost wenshanense aureum to black rot last week.

Only the strong survive. :)

and I just bought a flaks of wenshanense aureum. haha

Cambria, get on Eric's list for Dragon's Blood. I was having
a terrible time due to condensation from the roof of my
greenhouse over winter and the DB saved every one with
no recurrence.

Cambriawhat, you cannot I repeat, you cannot leave water in the crown, overnight or even half a day it will rot!!! everything!!!

The rot is occurring at the very base of the plants and working its way up, leaf by leaf.

Cambria, get on Eric's list for Dragon's Blood. I was having
a terrible time due to condensation from the roof of my
greenhouse over winter and the DB saved every one with
no recurrence.

I did get a bottle of the DB, and I put a few drops on the Phrag infection when it was only a couple of centimeters in diameter, but still the rot took most of an outer leaf in a week! I tore off the entire growth (over 1 year in the making plus two new growths emerging at base - talk about a setback) and drenched with peroxide.

I think maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'm dripping 4-5 drops directly on the infection and rubbing it around with my finger to try to cover the infected part as well as the green parts surrounding it. When it dries, it leaves a red stain on the area. Is this the way to do it?

I have not applied the DB to the Maudiae yet. Just tore off rotting leaf and squirted with peroxide.

Trying not to get stressed out but @!#^(@($%(^! ! !

Anytime you touch irwinia or rot and the touch healthy tissue no matter what topical solution you have you spread it, cut the rottted part of the leaf off then put the bd on the area by drip, or dab with a q tip

The ones that rotted in my collection, never got water or even misted.
Then certain things like bulldogs and others, get watered and center filled with water, never get rot.
I don't think it's that simple. Otherwise, nothing in the wild would survive.

Some plants just seem to be weak, unfortunately.

Squirting hydrogen peroxide don't help. At best, it will clean off the surface.
Whatever pathogens already inside plant tissues don't be affected.

Isolate any sick plants if this is an option.

I hope you find even nicer prettier plant! :)

Have you tried half tablet of aspirin dissolved in a litre of water. Spray on plant. Salicylic acid related triggers plant defence mechanism.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I coated the damn thing in DB. I think the bacteria are residing in the plants tissues and just start spreading under certain conditions. In this case, maybe it was the sudden increase in temperatures, light, humidity, and water that stressed the plant and provided an opportunity for the Erwinia.

I also ordered Inocucor from Ray to try the probiotics route. Only thing is, I use tap water - not sure if the clorine/chloramine will negate the effect.

I have not tried the aspirin method but will give it a shot.

Thank you for your suggestions! I came home from a few days away to find Erwinia infections, Zygo dropping leaves, Catasetum roots dying...a whole hell of a lot of fun waiting for me.

I coated the damn thing in DB. I think the bacteria are residing in the plants tissues and just start spreading under certain conditions. In this case, maybe it was the sudden increase in temperatures, light, humidity, and water that stressed the plant and provided an opportunity for the Erwinia.

I also ordered Inocucor from Ray to try the probiotics route. Only thing is, I use tap water - not sure if the clorine/chloramine will negate the effect.

I have not tried the aspirin method but will give it a shot.

Thank you for your suggestions! I came home from a few days away to find Erwinia infections, Zygo dropping leaves, Catasetum roots dying...a whole hell of a lot of fun waiting for me.

If you suddenly have that many problems after being gone for a few days look at some other cause other than bacteria.

Latest posts

Back