Masdevallia lucernula

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

duane mcdowell

Photographed at Ecuagenera's main (cooler-growing) nursery in Gualaceo, Ecuador (near Cuenca).
I'm really enjoying seeing all the Masdevallias in bloom. I don't think I've heard of half of them prior to this trip.
5330183048_5a56390195.jpg

5329570535_1f153fa74a.jpg

Duane, this is one I can't seem to flower. I bought two from Ecuagenera. The first one: every new leaf turned brown and died. In the second case, the plant appeared stronger and sent up several buds with everyone of them blasting. How do you get these beauties to flower? I really would like to try again.

Duane, this is one I can't seem to flower. I bought two from Ecuagenera. The first one: every new leaf turned brown and died. In the second case, the plant appeared stronger and sent up several buds with everyone of them blasting. How do you get these beauties to flower? I really would like to try again.
Here's the note I got from Gilberto Merino ([email protected]):
"Dear Friend.

The masdevallia lucernula require cold conditions and high humidity , in natural habit these one grows at 2400 m.

I hope that this information can serve you.

Best Regards.

Gilberto."
In short, it looks like this one is a genuine cold grower as opposed to one that grows cold in nature but does well in intermediate conditions.

Latest posts

Back