Masdevallia Alicia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticshaun

Reaction score
While I do enjoy the flowers on this one, it isn't my favorite because the flower stem is 18" tall (I've snapped off more than a few :( ). It likes decent humidity (60% or more), low light and intermediate/cool temps (13-23 degrees Celsius). Flowers many times a year under the lights. Also the flowers have a slight purplish cast at the edge of the petals caused very fine purple glands/hairs.

IMG_0385-1.jpg

Shaun

Very nice pict., great flower!! (How large?). Jean

Just had a look at RHS site to get the parents:
Alicia=glandulosa x guttulata

I can understand why the stem is that tall - it's DEMANDING to be center stage! :clap:

Are there any Masd. able to grow reasonably well at higher temps? Besides the cost issue, I'm not sure if my apartment central AC could do anywhere near those temps on summer days...86F is about what I have to set the thermostat to, but it does tend to be warmer at times, and under the lights, especially between fan cycles...but the blooms really are neat if anyone can recommend one they think might make it! ...my Phals are growing like weeds from the temps though...I should probably just check out some funky species of those instead...your picture is tempting though! Very nice :)

Hybrid masdevallias should do ok...especially those that have warm growers in them, like Sugar Baby. Species are tougher, even the so-called warm growers...Eric

Nice masde.

I am growing Angel Tang, Ted Khoe, and Snow Cone though for not very long. I would like all the names of truly warmth growing masde. that people would offer.

Latest posts

Back