Masd. coccinia ''Wayne Miller''

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Masdevallia coccinea 'M. Wayne Miller' AM/AOS, Masdevallia coccinea 'Seattle Gold' AM/AOS, and Masdevallia coccinea 'Crestwood' AM/AOS are all the same cultivar only the names have been changed to protect the guilty. Imagine the odds of finding three distinct xanthic Masdevallia coccinea in nature. The one diploid clone of Masdevallia coccinea is xanthina 'Especial' from Colomborquidias and should be the gateway to creating not only more xanthic cultivars but also treating the mother flasks with oryzain in the production of fertile tetraploids and amphidiploids.

Masdevallia coccinea 'M. Wayne Miller' AM/AOS, Masdevallia coccinea 'Seattle Gold' AM/AOS, and Masdevallia coccinea 'Crestwood' AM/AOS are all the same cultivar only the names have been changed to protect the guilty. Imagine the odds of finding three distinct xanthic Masdevallia coccinea in nature. The one diploid clone of Masdevallia coccinea is xanthina 'Especial' from Colomborquidias and should be the gateway to creating not only more xanthic cultivars but also treating the mother flasks with oryzain in the production of fertile tetraploids and amphidiploids.

Thanks orchidsmaven. Interesting.

I have just crossed this with a more vigorous and very floriferous M. coccinea alba. Hopefully some yellows will result or maybe they will throw back to pink/purples again??

Thanks orchidsmaven. Interesting.

I have just crossed this with a more vigorous and very floriferous M. coccinea alba. Hopefully some yellows will result or maybe they will throw back to pink/purples again??
We had tried for many years as have many other growers to get viable seed from crossing the 3N xanthic yellows to no avail. We were successful in crossing the 2N Masd. coccinea xanthina 'Especial' x Masd. coccinea alba, all flowered in pink to violet, not a one yellow. These seedlings should have been sib crossed for yellows in the next generation.

Wow~ very interesting how the pairing of this one to alba generates the flowers in the red shade.
I love yellow flowers so hopefully breeders keep trying and get this color form going on and on.
Thanks for the information, Theresa!

Latest posts

Back