Marlow Orchids closing...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eOrchids

Reaction score
I hate to report this but as announced on Facebook by Jim Marlow, he will be closing Marlow Orchids due to Covid-19 as he quoted...

"With much sadness, I'm announcing the closing of Marlow Orchids. Covid-19 has caused all shows for 2020 and well into 2021 to be cancelled. Been in biz since 1993."

Well, I'm not going anywhere... :) It is rough out there though, I'll be surprised if we don't lose some more. I wonder what orchid shows are going to look like when we start up again (if we start up again).

If you want your favorite vendors to stick around, contact them and order something. Or maybe visit if situations allow.

I'm in the fortunate position that I don't depend on selling orchids to feed my family, so spend your money on the people who do...

We're not going anywhere either, Rob; at least not short term. Our website is up and running and we appreciate the orders by our fellow ST'ers. As far as orchid shows, I hope they make a re-appearance once COVID is under control, hopefully in time for the 2021 Michigan Orchid Society Palm Sunday show next spring. For my part, I miss the customer interaction. Does the AOS still have monthly judgings?

Great Lakes is still judging. We've been socially distancing and meeting at a different location. I don't know what other judging centers are doing.

Is there a glimmer of hope? Marlow announces that it is staying open through Spring.

As far as orchid shows, I hope they make a re-appearance once COVID is under control, hopefully in time for the 2021 Michigan Orchid Society Palm Sunday show next spring.
It's impressive how fast things change. At the present, I think we should count us lucky, if we can go to an orchid show sometime in 2022!
In Denmark we have just had to postpone EOCCE 2021 (The European Orchid Council Conference and Exhibition) to 2022. Before this decission was finalized, I know, some of the European vendors were asked, if they would come, if the arrangement was held as planned in the autumn of 2021 - several said, that they didn't plan with going to any orchid show throughout all of 2021; a couple said they would sign up for the Exhibition in 2021, only if they were guaranteed to get their money back, in case the show was postponed or cancelled.

I'm hopeful for late spring, 2021 as well; I miss the comradery and talking to friends/customers we've known for years face to face. It all depends upon the efficacy of the vaccine and the willingness on the part of the population to get immunized once the vaccine's available.

I'm hopeful for late spring, 2021 .... It all depends upon the efficacy of the vaccine and the willingness on the part of the population to get immunized once the vaccine's available.
You certainly are an optimist, Tom!
Late spring....with a population of 330.689.770? And what the prospect of herd immunity pertains, I tend to think, that the rate of covid-deniers might tend to be slightly larger (to put it mildly) in the US than in Europe, at least if one is judging from quite a lot of the rallies in connection with the recent presidential election. I would imagine, this could be a rather decisive factor in the immunity game!
But, okay, airlines will probably in the near foreseen future demand proof for covid-vaccination as a prerequisite for traveling with them - maybe the same could serve as boarding pass for the Michigan Orchid Society Palm Sunday Show 2021?!

Last edited:
We drive 250 miles to the MOS show because we carry a lot of display and sales plants, so flying is not an option. I just want this world to get back to normal (whatever that is) so we can once again tend to our plants instead of worrying about ourselves.

Tom - Grand Rapids is doing a show last week of February (GLOS date, no GLOS show though). I think they will be short of vendors if you are looking to do something this year. Might be the last show until fall. Or the next GVOS show in 2022...

Latest posts

Back