Malipoense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like you hanged them from their buds during development!
This is a frustrating plant to flower most years. Once in a while (like last year) mine gives a wonderful display, but most years something goes funky with the buds, or I get none (like this year!).
It can be frustrating that way, but so far, malipoense overall has been a breeze compared to armeniacum for me.
I had two armeniacum bud blast and three or four armeniacum primary hybrids spike blast.
I have two more armeniacum in bud. Hopefully they will make it.
Why can't they all be easy like delenatii?! :rolleyes:

It's hard to describe the color but it was fresh green for the first two weeks or so.
This picture was taken on its 4th week and the flower is already showing quite a bit of yellow hue over the green base color.
By the way, on my screen, the photo shows a lot more yellow than in person. In person, it is still green with just hint of yellow.
I might be too sensitive.
The end is near, I guess. It's been almost one month after all.

The flower fell off yesterday. It lasted 4.5 week.
The other plant in bud, I would expect to see it open around early September.

Too bad Parvi flowers don't last that long. I still love them and they grow really well in the conditions here.
While it isn't as long as Maudiae or bulldog hybrids that last easily two three months in bloom, I'm quite happy with 4weeks.
Ho Chi Minh has been the only disappointment when it comes to flower longevity. Most I had barely lasted 3-4 days before starting to look tired with one exception where a flower lasted for well over ten days. That plant has not bloomed for two years now.

By the way, do you grow your malipoense outside in the winter in Kyushu?

While it isn't as long as Maudiae or bulldog hybrids that last easily two three months in bloom, I'm quite happy with 4weeks.
Ho Chi Minh has been the only disappointment when it comes to flower longevity. Most I had barely lasted 3-4 days before starting to look tired with one exception where a flower lasted for well over ten days. That plant has not bloomed for two years now.

By the way, do you grow your malipoense outside in the winter in Kyushu?
Yes, a month is actually not bad. I've managed to keep Ho Chi Minh in bloom for 2 weeks, but only under controlled conditions. Any moisture on the flower will finish it much faster. One reason Cypripediums will probably never be truly popular is the short flowering period - at most a couple weeks, three if you're lucky.

The malipoense probably could survive outside in a covered location, but I bring it in so that the flower buds form well. Outside they would very likely blast. It decided to not flower this year.

My giant Paphiopedilum malipoense has been growing its inflorescence since December.
Currently at 80cm tall. I expect it will reach to 90 or 100cm in the end.
My early estimate regarding when I will see it in bloom still seems realistic based on its growth rate thus far & past experience.
See you in late August into September.
DD6149ED-A734-43B6-B8E9-6A2BABD519A1.jpeg

Back