malipoense x jackii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Ayreon

jackiimali.jpg

This is one of my favourites, in bloom for the second time.

my goodness... talk about a long stem... how do these flowers survive in nature?! itz a disaster awaiting to happen... but other than that, pretty flower^^

Nice flower but I have to say that it really bugs me when people makes these crosses. To me it "muddys up the water" when it comes to IDing the true species.

Why would it be sold as a species?!

Because they grow much faster than the parents, and are easier to sow. jackii in flask or malipoense in flask have a quite low yield in most labs. The hybrid really germinate like a weed.

The F2 are expected to have malipoense or jackii leaves, cannot tell them apart by the leaves, and maybe later by the flowers, from the real species. Same for primulinum, a hard to grow very rare species whose most plants in the trade are in fact Pinocchio siblings (including Indonesia, where many plants have been imported as a part of a trade against others species of paphs), liemianum, glaucophyllum, tranlienianum "red form", some coccineum from seed. The hybrids nearly always grow faster and make "nicer" plants for the consumer.

Apart from that, the flower is maybe cute to some, but a very good jackii or a very good malipoense will surpass any plant from that hybrid. The clear purpose of such breeding is to get fast growing plants, nothing else (well maybe later "fast growing species").

Most malipo's have tall stems. they're found in bamboo I believe. flowers need to be seen to get pollenated. Same idea with Dorites They grow under short bushes and the flower spike shoots up though the bush to open on top.
The late Dr. Jack Fowlie writes about the habitat of the parvis in the OD.

Sanderianum [and SlipperKing], you're right. Most unscrupulous dealers will probably disolve the distinction and we'll have a man-made mix-up. Owners of true species, maintain your stock carefully.

Because they grow much faster than the parents, and are easier to sow. jackii in flask or malipoense in flask have a quite low yield in most labs. The hybrid really germinate like a weed..... The clear purpose of such breeding is to get fast growing plants, nothing else (well maybe later "fast growing species").

When I had a look in this thread for the first time I thought by myself 'what might be the reason to cross two very close species' and I couldn't find an explanation. You gave it - thanks!
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

When I started to grow paphs. I wanted to stay with species, even knowing hybrids are easier to grow. Just sort of wanting to stay with what nature made but when you try to find them what you most often find is some cross advertised as a species. So I have just given up the notion and am starting to buy what I like the looks of.

BTW very nice

Back