malipoense var hiepii stuck ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sangii

malipo nut
Reaction score
ok the spike on this one has taken more than 7-8 months (anyway such a long time that I lost count!) to reach this stage, but Iit seems to me that the bud has been like this, sort of half open, for more than 10 days now and is absolutely not showing any intention to open more :mad:

anybody experienced this before ? :confused:

dsc00748qa1.jpg

whole plant shot

dsc00719oh0.jpg

Yes, mine is doing that right now too! It also seems to have been in spike and remaining in a state of coma for a looooong time. I've threatened to throw it against a wall and it ignores me.

I've threatened to throw it against a wall and it ignores me.

lol ! as you can see in the second pict, I am showing it the door and at the same time explaining it how cold it is outside and how close the compost pile is, just it case it would want to blast this bud.....:rolleyes:

how long has yours been in spike for ?

ok, a month has gone by, I almost lost the spike after accidentally bending it while trying to grab another plant :( but it seems that it did not cause bud blast ( I would have turned mad I think !)

so what has happened in the past month is that the pouch which was quite small has been getting bigger and bigger and the petals have spread open a bit more. also I can now see the staminode and from what I can see I do not believe this is a hiepii. looks like a "normal" malipo to me :(

Would you have the patience for this one ? anybody wants to bet on how many more weeks it will take to see the flower fully open ( hoping it WILL open :fcrossed:)

dsc00913mk1.jpg

besides this plant there's a lot going on in the malipo growing area: 3 jackii in spike, 2 other malipos, 2 Fanaticum, 1 emersonii x malipo....

dsc00912ld6.jpg

I have a malipoense that seems to make a hobby out of doing just this Sangii. I think 3 times in a row now. It is usually in this stuck bud stage in late fall, which is about 180 degrees off from when it should be in bloom. I've been moving it around the GH to see if I can find a spot that makes it happier. It grows well, and I'll keep trying otherwise.

Sangii, it looks like there are some extra flower parts there...maybe that is the problem.

:edit: It must be my eyes, I looked again and there are no extra parts. When the sepal flipped up it looked like there was another synsepal above the sepal.

so what has happened in the past month is that the pouch which was quite small has been getting bigger and bigger and the petals have spread open a bit more. also I can now see the staminode and from what I can see I do not believe this is a hiepii. looks like a "normal" malipo to me :([/IMG]

I hate to say it but I don't find this surprising. I've seen nothing to suggest that hiepii has ever been seen/collected after the type collection (or the Liu & Chen collection). Here's Stephen's analysis: http://slipperorchids.info/paphdatasheets/parvisepalum/malipoensevarhiepii/index.html.

well it happened in the end: BUD BLAST :mad: ! guess the spike bending was fatal in the end

this is an idea of what the flower would have looked like, after forcing it open after it dropped half open from the plant

dscn3662cg9.jpg

Latest posts

Back