Malipoense is in bloom again

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Don't seem to have much trouble flowering this species. I have resisted growing it outside year round since winter here is just a little too severe, and probably would effect its flowering since it begins spiking right around Christmas. So I keep it in an unheated "poly house" inside where temperatures don't fall below 45 F. This particular clone is not a looker, and in retrospect, I believe it to be a wild plant. I bought it back around 2005 at the local orchid festival. The somewhat wonky stems are due to not staking them quick enough in January, so I had to had to get a little "medieval" to bend them upright!

Attachments

• MalFlowers.JPG
    MalFlowers.JPG
    354 KB · Views: 71
  • MalFull.JPG
    MalFull.JPG
    545.9 KB · Views: 80
I think it is well suited to the local climate, even though it is just a little too cold to keep outside all winter. I've been growing it in a mix of shredded Japanese cedar bark (a product called "cryptomoss"), small sized pumice and a bit of charcoal.

In a net pot?

No, it is just in a clay pot. I haven't repotted it in quite some time, so I think I'll do so after it finishes flowering.

Very well grown. So it does need a temperate climate to grow well. Do you cut down watering when it's cold?
I have one and I can't make them grow big...
Thanks

Don't seem to have much trouble flowering this species. I have resisted growing it outside year round since winter here is just a little too severe, and probably would effect its flowering since it begins spiking right around Christmas. So I keep it in an unheated "poly house" inside where temperatures don't fall below 45 F. This particular clone is not a looker, and in retrospect, I believe it to be a wild plant. I bought it back around 2005 at the local orchid festival. The somewhat wonky stems are due to not staking them quick enough in January, so I had to had to get a little "medieval" to bend them upright!
How on EARTH is this gorgeous, well-grown, redolently healthy plant in any way “not a looker?”

It is a beautiful species. I wish it didn't take forever for the spike to develop and finally bloom.
I find that malipoense easily spikes and the spike develops well, but the bud easily blast for me at the end of a few months' wait. So, it is rather frustrating in that regard.
I love the leaves of this species, so I keep a few to myself. Somehow, the ones I keep tend to have large leaves. I'm looking to collect ones with rather compact growing habits but with big flowers. :)
Is Kyushu that cold in the winter? I know it snows and all, but isn't it mostly rather mild there in the short winter month or two??
I might be underestimate the winter in Kyushu. haha

Thanks for sharing your beautiful and Well grown malipoense. the only plant that wanted to flower for me took at least half a year to develop the flower. unfortunately it withered again after a few days. maybe it was the dry spring?

Is Kyushu that cold in the winter? I know it snows and all, but isn't it mostly rather mild there in the short winter month or two??
I might be underestimate the winter in Kyushu. haha

I suppose the climate here is Miami Beach compared to NYC. Then again compared to Miami Beach, it is more like NYC! The "cold weather" here extends from late December thru all of February. Frost is common, but rarely does it fall below 25-30 F. This is a pretty good summation of the local climate - just a bit too cold to keep even this species happy IMO: Sasaguri Climate, Weather By Month, Average Temperature (Japan) - Weather Spark

Thanks for sharing your beautiful and Well grown malipoense. the only plant that wanted to flower for me took at least half a year to develop the flower. unfortunately it withered again after a few days. maybe it was the dry spring?

I think they like it cooler and drier when in spike, but also need high humidity. I too have had it lose its buds after months of developing - very frustrating!

Latest posts

Back